Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One big European (EU) Military

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default One big European (EU) Military

I know how some countries would disagree with this as they wouldn't want some 'man in Brussels' controlling their Military. This is a thing to be concerned about, but what if they sorted out this problem. Do you think this would be a good idea??

In the context of a federal European state, a federal army is probably essential.

In the context of a federal European state, a federal army is probably essential.
    *shudder*

Begun, this Clone War has
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anything past basic security is a waste of money. Not that the chicken-hawks would agree.

Anything past basic security is a waste of money. Not that the chicken-hawks would agree.
    Federalising defence would involve significant economies of scale and scope.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If a such Military was created then for example if an EU member state was attacked then this EU Military could take action against the attacker.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Federalising defence would involve significant economies of scale and scope.
    Only if we assume the disbanding of all the national armies as well. Even if a federal army was created I think some countries would be very slow to give up their own armies (France, Britain).
    I think the most likely situation is that there will be a European army (a very EU way of doing things) before all European defence is truly federalised (if that ever actually happens at all) and this will lead to duplication and extra cost.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is extremely unlikely in the short to medium term. I do think that if an EU state was invaded we would not be neutral. We hardly have the army to intervene but in political terms we would be essentially partisan.

Also, I'm with Stringjack on the economies of scale except for one thing. As nation states European powers are complacent about having weak militaries compared to the US but we may find there is pressure to match US spending on defence if we had a European army, which would actually increase our defence spending. A European army would operate with a whole new dynamic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am supportive of the botion of an EU members state army that would be called into conflicts on the continent. Srebrenica was a disgrace and the fault of we Europeans, such events on this continent cannot be allowed to happen again.
    "Everyone hates Fianna Fáil except the electorate."

Unattributed correspondent, 1960s.

Only if we assume the disbanding of all the national armies as well. Even if a federal army was created I think some countries would be very slow to give up their own armies (France, Britain).
    No, it doesn't follow that the choice is binary. Some defense functions could be centralised, others could remain at the national level - the process could be managed in any number of different ways and remain cost-effective. Even bulk purchasing/standardisation of equipment could yield significant savings, as could sharing equipment (which reduces deadtime on equipment) and training on common equipment.

Also, I'm with Stringjack on the economies of scale except for one thing. As nation states European powers are complacent about having weak militaries compared to the US but we may find there is pressure to match US spending on defence if we had a European army, which would actually increase our defence spending. A European army would operate with a whole new dynamic.
    Leaving aside the new dynamic for a moment, there's an interesting discussion to be had about defense capabilities over the next 20 years and the next 50 years. What kind of defensive capabilities do we need? What kinds of things do we want to be able to accomplish.

At least nominally, European nation states still maintain the capacity to defend against a fellow member of the Union invading them. I think resources could be better deployed.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast