Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie Pearse

Default Willie Pearse

Why was he the only one of the 1916 leaders to plead guilty to the charges the Brits made against him?
    Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure but I hear that the developers and their mates are planning on building houses on Pearse Park in Crumlin that was named after him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont think Willie Pearse actually was one of the leaders he appears to have been picked for execution solely because he was Padraig Pearse' brother.

Quote Originally Posted by stalins granny
    I dont think Willie Pearse actually was one of the leaders he appears to have been picked for execution solely because he was Padraig Pearse' brother.
    Would the Brits have executed him then if he hadn't pleaded guilty? Is it the case then that, like his big brother, he yearned for martyrdom?

If so, what a wacky family!
    Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by stalins granny
    Pádraig Pearse had two brothers so if that was Wille's crime then the third Pearse should have been executed also.

Willie didn't help his case by pleading guilty to;

" ... taking part in an armed rebellion and in the waging of war against His Majesty the King, such act being of such a nature as to be calculated to be prejudicial to the Defence of the Realm and being done with the intention and for the purpose of assisting the enemy."
    Stealth Assassin
    You can safely appeal to the United Nations in the comfortable certainty that it will let you down. Conor Cruise O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom
    ... what a wacky family!
    To say the least.
    MJ Coughlan,
    Waterford City.
    http://www.bebo.com/mjcoughlan23

Maybe, he had the courage of his convictions. Maybe he felt that it was ridiculous lying considering that he had been caught in the act. Maybe they were wacky but so too were the millions of soldiers who ran into machine-gun fire across land that was a quagmire. That`s a war that you said in one threat, MJ Coughlan that you wore the red poppy in oder to commemorate. You can`t expect people to respect your dead if you don`t respect others.

Leopold was it your birthday recently and somebody who didn`t know you very well gave you a book on 1916?

Despite his guilty plea which is often perceived as a desire to accept the same fate as his brother, Willie insisted that he "had no authority or say in the arrangements for the starting of the rebellion. I was throughout - only a personal attache to my brother P.H. Pearse. I had no direct command."
    This suggests he was somewhat conflicted about the whole thing and that his death wish wasn't quite so strong as that of his big brother. Ultimately, however, I blame the mammy.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom
    If so, what a wacky family!
    You've a SF avatar and you refer to the Pearses as wacky. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by anmajornarthainig
    ...That`s a war that you said in one threat, MJ Coughlan that you wore the red poppy in oder to commemorate. You can`t expect people to respect your dead if you don`t respect others.
    I would say that the men and women who died in the Easter Rising and those who died in WW1 are all OUR dead.
    Stealth Assassin
    You can safely appeal to the United Nations in the comfortable certainty that it will let you down. Conor Cruise O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Willie, while he didn't exactly have special needs, he was a bit slow, wasn't he?
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast