Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episcopalian versus Anglican

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Episcopalian versus Anglican

I've noticed several (Irish, Dublin) Church of Ireland churches use the term "episcopalian", whereas most use "anglican" -and a few, both - to describe themselves. Is there any particular reason for this?

is it a matter of preference?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The use of "Episcopalism" is probably a tactic to broaden their appeal - knowing well that the term "Anglican" conjures up images of Henry VIII, the Penal Laws and British rule.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its effectively one and the same the "anglican" and "episcopalian" churches are all members of the anglican communion, in the US and Scotland they are called the "episcopalian church in many other they are calle the church of <<country>>
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbob1972
    its effectively one and the same the "anglican" and "episcopalian" churches are all members of the anglican communion, in the US and Scotland they are called the "episcopalian church in many other they are calle the church of <<country>>
    True, although just because you see "Church of" should not lead one to presume it is episcopalian/anglican.

The "Church of Scotland" for example, is the name of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland.
    The United Church of Australia is a conglomerate of Congregationalists and Methodists.
    The United Church of Canada is a conglomeration of Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Methodists.

The rest is true, Episcopalian and Anglican are the same thing essentially. Episcopalian churches are members of the Anglican communion.

Generally the term "Church of" grew up because it was the national church. As in the Church of Ireland was the national church of Ireland prior to disestablishment. States which never had a national church tend not to create one and instead are called episcopalian.

An interesting aside - PepsiCola is an anagram of episcopalian.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Episcopalian versus Anglican

Quote Originally Posted by mactheknife
    I've noticed several (Irish, Dublin) Church of Ireland churches use the term "episcopalian", whereas most use "anglican" -and a few, both - to describe themselves. Is there any particular reason for this?

is it a matter of preference?
    I've only ever known 'Episcopalian' to be used by churches with a high level of attendance by tourists such as St Patrick's Cathedral. We don't want to confuse our Yankee brethren you know.

I think that's about all the thought that's gone into it. If someone knows more, please correct me.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Episcopalian versus Anglican

Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod
    I've only ever known 'Episcopalian' to be used by churches with a high level of attendance by tourists such as St Patrick's Cathedral. We don't want to confuse our Yankee brethren you know.

I think that's about all the thought that's gone into it. If someone knows more, please correct me.
    Interesting observation about the tourist central churches. I would recognise that as being the case now you mention it.

And yes I'd agree that is probably all the thought which has gone into it.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    Ha ha

The Church of Ireland................brought to you by PepsiCola.

Would any Church of Ireland members prefer the term "episcopalian" to "anglican"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mactheknife
    Would any Church of Ireland members prefer the term "episcopalian" to "anglican"?
    I've never come across one.

And the episcopalians are not the most popular at the moment with the transatlantic argy bargy over homosexual clergy.

Follow the gourd!
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

This is what keeps me coming back time and again to p.ie... 8)
    Economic Left/Right: -3.13; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64
    University politics are so vicious, precisely because the stakes are so small.” Henry Kissinger

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No its not. For a start episcopalian has 12 letters PepsiCola 9?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast