Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Media" and the election- the VB show analysis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "The Media" and the election- the VB show analysis

Last night there was a discussion on the show about the media and the elections with Browne leveling many criticisms (which were thrown back at him just as well).

In my view this was a very poor election for the media

1) policy was pushed to the side. While the daily press conferences were not exactly lively they were still better than Bertie's finances or Enda's latest photo op.
    2) Focus on polls. Over two days. Methodology (codology). Latest. yawn!
    3) Bertie v Enda as opposed to the election of 165 TDs
    4) Campaigning by newspapers on minority issues eg stamp duty
    5) Up until 10.30 on day of close of poll it was all about "alternative Taoieasch" v Bertie, then reality returned.
    6) The green party were assumed into the Rainbow without their consent
    7) Labour were pushed into corner and couldn't get out
    8) Who won the Leaders debate? The pundits v the people's view.
    9) Too much focus on that debate.

Perhaps Vincent Browne said it best when he said "The media don't have a clue of the public mind".

Is he correct and are the criticisms justified?
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Editor/Publisher of Village Magazine, columnists for the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post, and his own radio show.

If he's correct, he's most aptly talking about himself.

Dr Jimbo

What struck me most was every morning the radio shows would say: and the topics being discussed today are the economy, education, ...
    Basically whatever was in the press release from the parties that day. Print media just as bad. No cornering parties on impending economic meltdown, serious discussion of oil, climate change.
    And of course after Bertie's Diana performance with Dobbo, no hammering home of the integrity question.

I was struck by something a Tory MP said on The Panel - everyone refers to our great leader either by his nickname or title, playing into his hands as man of the people, or incumbent, respectively. Very obvious once pointed out. Of course if Enda tried 'Mr Ahern' all the time he'd seem like a stiff...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane
    Editor/Publisher of Village Magazine, columnists for the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post, and his own radio show.

I think his actual words were "us in the media haven't a clue".

He should get a large wall plaque of that and hang it in the studio. His producer should prompt him to look at it every time he starts to pontificate on some topic or other - that‘ll be several times a night.

I found Vincent’s aggressive “job interview” technique with prospective TD’s to be both boorish and a waste of time. It usually resulted in my switching off the radio, so from that point of view, his bit of the media had a very poor election in my house.

Vincent is a lunatic, clear and simple, the man changes his mind more often than a two year old in the middle of a meltdown!! he moves from " oh I think you're so great" to " you are the devil incarnate" to "oh I think your great again" - I'm not sure who's more to blame; him for being a little unstable or "us" for even listening to him.

Honest

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The answer is plain. Don't listen to him.

Journalists interviewing journalists. Cheap radio.

What do we in the media think of us in the media. Are we right? etc. Arrrgh.
    That's complete nonsense. I disagree with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He spent 10 minutes of the previous show which was meant to be about some of the NUI Seanad candidates reading what ended up being in the following days IT column by himself.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is correct. People in the media generally mix with other media people and others of a certain class and opinion. They constantly make the elementary mistake of assuming that the opinions of their friends are representative of the people as a whole. When the great unwashed demonstrate time and again through the ballot box how out of touch the media are, what do we get? An examination of conscience by the media? No, we are told that we have disgraced ourselves again. When will we peasants ever stop letting down The Irish Times?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus

He is correct. People in the media generally mix with other media people and others of a certain class and opinion. They constantly make the elementary mistake of assuming that the opinions of their friends are representative of the people as a whole. When the great unwashed demonstrate time and again through the ballot box how out of touch the media are, what do we get? An examination of conscience by the media? No, we are told that we have disgraced ourselves again. When will we peasants ever stop letting down The Irish Times?
    Excellent Odyessus. On one of VB's programmes during the election campaign, not one political commentator on a panel of 5 or 6 gave FF a chance of getting back into Government.

Even on last night's programme, there was no discussion on how wrong the pudits were. It was whether or not they covered certain issues well enough or not etc. I guess humble pie is a hard dish to swallow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast