Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Rossiter

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brian Rossiter

Seems like a fairly callous way for Dept. of Justice to deal with the family. Village readers will be familiar and the sunday papers should be packed with it. If you're not, the best free, online article I can spot is by Vincent Browne in the SBP. It also give a bit of backround to the whole thing.

SB Post Article

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are two issues connected with the case of Brian Rossiter which concern me at the very outset.

Firstly why is this inquiry not taking place in Clonmel?

and secondly why are the parents of Brian Rossiter not being supported by some arrangment with the State so that they afford legal representation. If this was in any jurisdiction in the US there would be plethora of pro bono offers to help out.

Strikes me as rather unjust and quite the commentary on how different "stakeholders" in our Criminal Justice System are treated when in one week you see a member of one of Munster's most feared criminal families retaining the services of a celebrity criminal advocate but in the same week the father of a child who died in Garda custody is denied legal representation for want of means.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Rossiter family should have their legal fees paid by the State since you can bet the Gardai will. I agree the earlier responses from the Dept. of Justice were cold and clinical.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Brian Rossiter

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    the best free, online article I can spot is by Vincent Browne in the SBP. It also give a bit of backround to the whole thing
    The article you gave a link to has nothing to do with the Rossiter case
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fact the more I think about the more of a scandal it is that this inquiry is not taking place in Clonmel breaching every recent precedent going back as far as Whiddy.

Not sure either why McDowell has convened the Inquiry under an obscure section of an most obscure piece of legislation: the Dublin Police Act, 1924.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great - another ************************************g tribunal.

What happened to the day when, if a crime was suspected, you got the gardai to inve......oh yeah.

Seriously though, I have little or no faith in the integrity of the force anymore - and thats nothing to do with 'left wing liberal looneys in the meedja' nor any other external influence. It comes from getting a beating from a garda when I was sixteen because he felt like it because I was silly enough to run home from my girlfriends house at 1 in the morning and didnt answer him fast enough, from getting verbally abused numerous occassions as a young man when I foolishly went to the gym in a TRACKSUIT, being called 'cheeky' (funny when your employee calls you cheeky isnt it) and told to shut my 'smart mouth' because I dared questioned the authority of a man in his late forties who was obviously brimming with resentment at the fact that his fat ass had him stuck walking the beat at his age, being accused of having drugs, of being drunk and disorderly, of being a thug and a liar and generally treated like dirt even though I have never committed anything stronger than an occassional traffic offence like parking in the wrong spot or having a few pulls of a joint in college (Id did inhale though ). Now we have scandal after scandal rolling out and nothing is really being done about it. I had a gobshite call me in work looking for us to place an ad in some garda magazine a while back - I asked him what possible use would gardai have for our products and he told me indignantly that it was the GARDA magazine and suggested that its always a good idea TO KEEP THE GARDA SWEET. I politely declined (but not after I got a large portion of the conversation onto my Ipod). I still laugh at the knowledge of such a ************************wit actually ringing people with this shite.

As for the Rossiters - my sympathies go with you and I pray that you find your truth;you wont find it in this mickey mouse, bargain basement 'look we are proactive and doing somethin, anything' bullshit tribunal.

Just like the McBreartys.
    And the Shorts
    And the Lyons.
    Fin.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrockerJarman
    In fact the more I think about the more of a scandal it is that this inquiry is not taking place in Clonmel breaching every recent precedent going back as far as Whiddy.

Not sure either why McDowell has convened the Inquiry under an obscure section of an most obscure piece of legislation: the Dublin Police Act, 1924.

He is convening the inquiry under the 1924 police act---because under that act ---only serving officers can be brought before it----the chief vegitable in charge of Clonmel station at the time of Brian Rossiters death has since retired.
    The crown above the red hand is that of the O'Neill rulers of Ulster---not the Saxe-coborg gotha usurpers crown

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another implication of the use of the DPA, 1924 is that the hearing will be in camera, eg, there will be no public transcript of the proceedings.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonderful country we live in: the police can kill your child in custody and then have an investigation by themselves into themselves, in private. And they call this a democratic state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And yet compared to a gas pipline in North Mayo, theres some disequilibrium in terms of coverage on this topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast