Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Intrusion why there should be a press Council

Default Media Intrusion why there should be a press Council

Are there times when the media intrudes too much on a family's grief?

This morning, the Sunday Independent had a big splash on Sara Nelligan's problem with drugs. To me, this sounds like media intrusion on a family's private grief. It is hard enough for the Nelligan family to cope with the death of their beloved daughter when this happens.

The Nelligan family, on Friday, asked for privacy at this time, yet the Sunday Independent saw fit to publish this story just for the sake of selling a few more copies than their rivals.

This is not the first time the Sunday Independetn invaded a grieving family at a sensative time.

They did it before after Liam Lawlor died by saying that the female companion who he was travelling with was a prostitute, and they did it last year when they published a story about the wife of one of the Gardai who was involved in the Abbeylara siege who died in childbirth.

Sometimes, I think the Sunday Independent oversteps the mark.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish it was only sometimes. It now seems to be all the time!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the previous posters, saw Sindo today for the first time in a long time and it was stomach -churning to read the way they exploited this tragedy, but it was not surprising .

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. I blame the influence of the British-owned tabloids.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Par for the course for this disgusting rag.
    We can turn the world around
    We can turn the earth's revolution
    We have the power
    People have the power ...

Yes, I agree that the Neligan piece today was grossly insensitive and intrusive. However, I'm very wary of politicians - for their own tawdry reasons - trying to gag our media. God knows, they already have RTE in their pockets and it would be a sad day if the same came to pass for our print media.
    Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

the first headlines were rich girl found dead, mudered!

yesterday I was wondering how they found the guy the there with her who they arrested if she'd been dead for days, now its been explained...
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ehmmmm it's the readers ?

They read the stuff & keep buying the papers.

Start a campaign against people buying the Sindo - shame them.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom
    Yes, I agree that the Neligan piece today was grossly insensitive and intrusive. However, I'm very wary of politicians - for their own tawdry reasons - trying to gag our media. God knows, they already have RTE in their pockets and it would be a sad day if the same came to pass for our print media.
    Agreed. The Sindo is an awful rag that only barbarian untermensch braindead scumbags would voluntarily read, but...

This country is completely corrupt, and we desperately need a free and unfettered press (which we most certainly do not have now!). The Indo group and RTÉ are all in the pockets of the Govt, and between the two they dominate the media.

Politicians, and party hacks, are simply using the predictable mucksavage bad taste of the Indo group as a trojan horse to convince the public to support an even tamer and more supine media that will never question the litany of dodgy treacherous grubby deals our political class routinely engage in.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Agreed. I blame the influence of the British-owned tabloids.
    Very likely, an interesting speech here from Tony Blair, journalists as a group are characterised as 'feral beasts', unthrusthworthy, grasping who would sell their own mothers to get a 'scoop', the more sh*it in the scoop the better.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/P ... Speech.pdf

Journalist - is this the worst job in the world?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast