Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Greystones Harbour funding

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Greystones Harbour funding

The Greens are in power! Great things are in store for us all. The days of developer led planning is at an end. Everyone is smiling again!

Assuming that the planning board doesnít give the green light to the proposed harbour development at Greystones will the Green Party now guarantee that funding from the public purse will be provided to remove the need for the kind of massive development thatís being proposed at the moment?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They dont do demolition grants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They do for Tara.

It could quite easily be funded by the savings from C0ck R0che's expense account. A ministry which Wicklow will not miss as the only beneficiaries were the developers.

Irish people are an absolute disgrace to sit by and watch as Sispar and Wicklow County Council destroy a public beach by gifting it to developers. You should all be very ashamed if this goes ahead.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that Dick Dastardly has departed Environment I am hopefull that common sence will prevail and the hideous harbour development will be refused.

There is so many planning issues with this proposed development that it will almost certainly be refused by the Bord.

When this happens the public sector should then ensure that funding is provided to refurbish the Greystones harbour area to stop the developers returning in the future.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon
    Now that Dick Dastardly has departed Environment I am hopefull that common sence will prevail and the hideous harbour development will be refused.

There is so many planning issues with this proposed development that it will almost certainly be refused by the Bord.

When this happens the public sector should then ensure that funding is provided to refurbish the Greystones harbour area to stop the developers returning in the future.
    Unfortunately it probably in all likelihood will go ahead.Gormley nor any other Minister cannot intervene in decisions of Bord Pleanala thats why it was set up as independent body in the first place -to stop political interferance in the planning process.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minister3

Unfortunately it probably in all likelihood will go ahead.Gormley nor any other Minister cannot intervene in decisions of Bord Pleanala thats why it was set up as independent body in the first place -to stop political interferance in the planning process.
    MIN 3, I think what Lennon is stating is that should the Bord throw out
    the present proposals that he/she is hoping for the harbour be repaired
    without the sell out of public land and ameneties to developers ie that
    central government (opw) fund the needed repair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muiris

MIN 3, I think what Lennon is stating is that should the Bord throw out
    the present proposals that he/she is hoping for the harbour be repaired
    without the sell out of public land and ameneties to developers ie that
    central government (opw) fund the needed repair.
    This is exactly what I am saying Muiris. The foreshore is a very important public amenity, an integral part of our natural heritage. It must not be given to private developers to destroy. Central Government should commit to preserving the foreshore for future generations in a sustainable fashion.

I understand that The DCMNR has recently commissioned a review of foreshore management arrangements in Ireland with the aim of establishing a modern framework and improved system for coastal management in Ireland. A strategic review will be carried out of the legislative framework, structures, and procedures in place to manage the State owned foreshore which will assist in achieving an Integrated coastal Zone Management system for the state. I believe that there needs to be moratorium on all foreshore developments such as that proposed for Greystones pending the completion of this strategic review.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well the original proposal had a constructive refusal from the Bord. They had to revisit the scheme and redesign it and reopen the hearing. There is huge political pressure put on the Bord from outside. Planning laws are also changed to permit developments that are contrary to good planning, such as IKEA and the M3.

I predict a refusal also. But that doesn't mean the mechanics of the development and ownership will change.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lennon,

I agree with you.

Unfortunately given the wicklow constiuency results it did not rate
    as a major issue in the county. Of the recent elected TD's only McManus
    is on record in her opposition to the development.

Regarding the need for a co ordinated approach to coast lines etc you
    should definetely contact John Gormley's office and asked for Ryan Meade as John is probably up to his tonsils today. John's office is 01 -6184247.

The problem though is that a lot of these coastal issues are dictated by
    Finance (OPW). They completed mapping the country in relation to flood risk last year.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast