Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mahon Tribunal

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mahon Tribunal

Due to the recent negotiations on forming the new government over the past week some information given to the Mahon Tribunal may have been missed.
    Dr. John O' Mahony SC for Minister Micheal Martin insisted on reading into the record a statement given to the tribunal by Mr. Martin in which he said he had recieved 6200 from Owen O' Callaghan in political donations between 1989 and 1993 and that 3500 of that had been lodged into his wife's account.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Mahon Tribunal

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyville
    Due to the recent negotiations on forming the new government over the past week some information given to the Mahon Tribunal may have been missed.
    Dr. John O' Mahony SC for Minister Micheal Martin insisted on reading into the record a statement given to the tribunal by Mr. Martin in which he said he had received 6200 from Owen O' Callaghan in political donations between 1989 and 1993 and that 3500 of that had been lodged into his wife's account.
    Yet another FF TD whose "political" donations ended up in the personal bank accounts of their wife/partner, strange world we live in!
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting but does it matter who cares in this country maybe his wife was the local cumann secretary

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your 'little' country is fast becoming a serious source of ridicule in terms of its inherent corruption and the apathy shown by your electorate.

Ireland has perpretrated an enormous con on the world. Portraying a nation of hospitable generous people with a solid intelligence. Yet your electorate displays such startling stupidity at every turn, giving corruption a mandate and allowing vested interests to over ride good civic administration.

No other country in Europe allows its politicians to behave so overtly like gangsters.
    No other country in Europe would have squandered the wealth created like children let loose in a sweet shop with a fist full of money.
    No other country in Europe would have gotten such paltry and pathetic returns for the money put into the Public Services.
    No other country in Europe would allow its Health Service to be hi-jacked by ideologues and run into the ground to facilitate a privatisation agenda.

Ireland has displayed its chronic immaturity in these matters.
    'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.'

Inigo Montoya.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfemme22
    Your 'little' country is fast becoming a serious source of ridicule in terms of its inherent corruption and the apathy shown by your electorate.

Ireland has perpretrated an enormous con on the world. Portraying a nation of hospitable generous people with a solid intelligence. Yet your electorate displays such startling stupidity at every turn, giving corruption a mandate and allowing vested interests to over ride good civic administration.

No other country in Europe allows its politicians to behave so overtly like gangsters.
    No other country in Europe would have squandered the wealth created like children let loose in a sweet shop with a fist full of money.
    No other country in Europe would have gotten such paltry and pathetic returns for the money put into the Public Services.
    No other country in Europe would allow its Health Service to be hi-jacked by ideologues and run into the ground to facilitate a privatisation agenda.

Another one of these "laughing stock of Europe (TM)" posts.
    There was pleasure in paradise, but no excitement - Milan Kundera

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What am I missing here? It was a political donation to M Martin so there's no problem with it going into his or his wife's account.

I think your mixing it up with previous issues whereby political donations meant for the FF party ended up in members accounts.

There's no allegation that M Martin wasn't supposed to keep the money for defrayment of his own election expenses.

Of more interest (IMHO) is the continuing reduction in credibility of Gilmartin. When we take into account that he's being hand-held through his evidence by the tribunal and not being cross-examined it's remarkable that he's already had to rescind 2 allegations.

Overall though - I think the biggest joke of this is the fact that we are spending millions listening to a man tell us his recollections of what his rival allegedly said to him about bribing politicians during a period when he and his rival were involved in a massive multi-million pound battle which he lost ! It's all by definition heresay and biaised (due to his clear anger over losing to O'Callaghan). None of this would be acceptable in a court. Even with that proviso his "evidence" doesn't stack up - for example when he says he was at loggerheads with O'Callaghan there are contemporaneous notes showing they were amicably doing business and didn't fall out until later, when he says on the one hand he trusted Bertie as being above corruption (and therefore asked for his help and got it) then subsequently alleges that O'Callaghan had been bribing Bertie and that Gilmartin knew about that at the time he was asking Bertie for help.

This is a crock and will ultimately serve only one purpose - to pay for more holiday homes for the barristers and judges.

And No - I am not for a second suggesting that we shouldn't know about whether Bertie and/or others were in receipt of corrupt payments - it's just this module is a load of crap !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

then subsequently alleges that O'Callaghan had been bribing Bertie
    Did he allege that, or did he allege that O'Callaghan was saying he was bribing Bertie?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DSCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftfemme22

Another one of these "laughing stock of Europe (TM)" posts.
    Your country is fast becoming a joke... I cant count the amount of times I have been embarressed for this country when I'm back in London being quizzed as to what the hell I'm doing still living here. (2nd generation Irish, goes along way) But the days of people being envious of my life here are long over.

Nobody envies Ireland anymore, you have squandered your time in the sun
    'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.'

Inigo Montoya.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    then subsequently alleges that O'Callaghan had been bribing Bertie
    Did he allege that, or did he allege that O'Callaghan was saying he was bribing Bertie?
    This is a critical distinction to make - and one which seems to be routinely overlooked both in media reports and by outraged FF politicians in denying the allegation of allegations.

O'Callaghan was playing "development poker" with Gilmartin. It's entirely possible that O'Callaghan did make such claims to convince Gilmartin that his political influence was essential to any successful development outcome.

Whether O'Callaghan was actually bribing FF Ministers is entirely another matter. But from what we know of Haughey, Burke, Lawlor it would be foolish not to investigate such claims.

Messrs O'Callaghan, Ahern, Martin etc are entitled to have their reputations vindicated by the tribunal, who should look under every stone in their efforts to do so.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mahon Tribunal

Quote Originally Posted by adrem
    What am I missing here? It was a political donation to M Martin so there's no problem with it going into his or his wife's account.

I think your mixing it up with previous issues whereby political donations meant for the FF party ended up in members accounts.

There's no allegation that M Martin wasn't supposed to keep the money for defrayment of his own election expenses.

Of more interest (IMHO) is the continuing reduction in credibility of Gilmartin. When we take into account that he's being hand-held through his evidence by the tribunal and not being cross-examined it's remarkable that he's already had to rescind 2 allegations.

Overall though - I think the biggest joke of this is the fact that we are spending millions listening to a man tell us his recollections of what his rival allegedly said to him about bribing politicians during a period when he and his rival were involved in a massive multi-million pound battle which he lost ! It's all by definition heresay and biaised (due to his clear anger over losing to O'Callaghan). None of this would be acceptable in a court. Even with that proviso his "evidence" doesn't stack up - for example when he says he was at loggerheads with O'Callaghan there are contemporaneous notes showing they were amicably doing business and didn't fall out until later, when he says on the one hand he trusted Bertie as being above corruption (and therefore asked for his help and got it) then subsequently alleges that O'Callaghan had been bribing Bertie and that Gilmartin knew about that at the time he was asking Bertie for help.

This is a crock and will ultimately serve only one purpose - to pay for more holiday homes for the barristers and judges.

And No - I am not for a second suggesting that we shouldn't know about whether Bertie and/or others were in receipt of corrupt payments - it's just this module is a load of crap !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast