Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when did violence stop start in Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default when did violence stop start in Ireland

It seems the presidential elections have to some degree altered history. Up until recently all the historical books and studies I came across demonstrated to me that we had a violent history running many many hundreds of years. The United Irishmen, Brian Boru, etc etc. Then we had Dev and Collins and Breen etc in the war of independence and the civil war. We then had the IRa , the INLA, the Uda etc right up to now with the dissidents and the uvf again.

But, it strikes me tlistening and watching media and posters IN here that infact anything pre 1950ish never actually happened or was some kind of handbag nudging style warfare at its worst. So was there actual murder of men women and children, violence, burning, thuggery, thefts, robberies and general madness and violence before this 1950ish period? If there was what was the cut of date for it to become" acceptable violence" and the new date for "unacceptable violence.

Just hard to get ones head around unless for political expediency of course.

bte Mods, I hope its posted in the correct forum as I felt it was more of a historical context than presidential. Apologies if I was wrong.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Northern Ireland came into being in a violent manner — a total of 557 people were killed in political or sectarian violence from 1920–1922, during and after the Irish War of Independence. Most were Catholics.[31] (See also; Irish War of Independence in the North East.) The result was communal strife between Catholics and Protestants, with nationalists characterising this violence, especially that in Belfast, as a "pogrom" against their community, although one historian argues that the reciprocity of northern violence does not fit the pogrom model or imagery so well.[32]
    Wiki.

After the initial turmoil of the early 1920s, there were occasional incidents of sectarian unrest in Northern Ireland. These included a brief and ineffective IRA campaign in the 1940s, and another abortive IRA campaign between 1956 and 1962. By the early 1960s Northern Ireland was fairly stable.
    Wiki again.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the general rule, looking round this forum is that any violence pre 1922 was good, but post '22 was bad. So the cutoff date would be 1922.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Gorgeous Gael View Post
    I think the general rule, looking round this forum is that any violence pre 1922 was good, but post '22 was bad. So the cutoff date would be 1922.
    yeh. I would say thats about correct. funny how history can be rewritten as suits.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

John Waters, when he was young and before he went utterly insane, used to argue that Official Ireland was born sometime in the early 1970s and refused to acknowledge history before then. He may have had a point. In the 1990s we used to hear a lot about what a "young country" we were. Errrr, what? Yeah Ireland's a young country...compared to China maybe...

There does seem to be an impulse within southern officialdom towards simply nuking thousands of years of history and context and pretending the world popped into existence in the early 1970s alright. It's really very very weird this aggressive anti-history stuff the deefer meeja come out with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default the start...

"I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are we not using question marks when asking questions anymore?

If you want to hear about disgusting actions in Ireland pre-1950 check out Oliver Cromwell and his campaign in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    Because this site has a Make Up Your Own Punctuation policy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    Does it annoy you.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast