Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troika in Ireland for 10-day mission to assess bailout - 11/10/11

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Troika in Ireland for 10-day mission to assess bailout - 11/10/11

Troika begin latest review of bail-out deal - RT News

"Staff from the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund begin their latest review of Ireland's bail-out programme today.

It is expected that much of the mission will be taken up by discussions related to the preparation of December's Budget, which will be the first for the new Government."

I have a question, it still has not been answered anywhere. The Croke Park Agreement was meant to be front and centre for this quarterly Troika meeting here. It got taken off the agenda. Why is that?

Robut

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It definitely seems a bit odd that the croke park agreement has been taken off the agenda. Either it's achieving savings greater than envisaged (unlikely) or the government is about to dump it !

There was a thread a few days ago discussing that partnership was back in action again, perhaps there trying to get a new deal that way

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hilarious. I remember people on this site a couple of years back bellowing about how the public sector would be a wasteland after the dreaded IMF got here, nope.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just found this - The Irish Times - Saturday, October 1, 2011:

Coalition in rush to comply with bailout deadline - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 01, 2011

"A critical condition to be met by the end of September related to the Croke Park agreement.

The memorandum states that if public service numbers had not been reduced sufficiently, and other savings had not been achieved, then pay cuts would have to be implemented.

The Government is confident that this target has been exceeded. The numbers of public servants will have fallen from more than 305,000 to under 300,000 by the end of 2011, well below the target figure of 302,000."

However, the reason I asked, was because I heard on da radio at some point that the Croke Park Agreement had been dropped as a topic at this quarterly meet. Maybe the answer above is the reason??

Robut
    Last edited by robut; 11th October 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

God forbid the bloody thing might actually be working! I fear many a head would explode spontaneously throughout our fair land if that happened. A new goat would have to be scaped!

The Other Shoe is about to drop. Are public servants in Ireland still labouring under the misapprehension that they are going to be protected and ringfenced from the pain inflicted on the private sector?

I actually read through the European's assessment of what went wrong in Ireland and the vast sums in bribes spread across the public sector, the huge overstaffing of that sector and the absurd paylevels and pay rises awarded between 2001 and 2007 don't require an economist to make them visible.

The public service within the next twelve months in Ireland are going to regret giving the middle finger to the private sector workers and I have no doubt they'll be out and about looking for public support to help defend their position. They'll be left waiting.

There is no way the IMF and ECB are going to prop up Ireland's absurd public service patronage system. Do public service workers assume there will be another Croke Park Agreement ringfencing their place in the economy? Not a hope.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im guessing there here to tell FF light what to put in the budget this year, which will be to screw the citizens whilst ensuring wealth growth for the elites.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Saltees Eagle View Post
    The Other Shoe is about to drop. Are public servants in Ireland still labouring under the misapprehension that they are going to be protected and ringfenced from the pain inflicted on the private sector?

I actually read through the European's assessment of what went wrong in Ireland and the vast sums in bribes spread across the public sector, the huge overstaffing of that sector and the absurd paylevels and pay rises awarded between 2001 and 2007 don't require an economist to make them visible.

The public service within the next twelve months in Ireland are going to regret giving the middle finger to the private sector workers and I have no doubt they'll be out and about looking for public support to help defend their position. They'll be left waiting.

There is no way the IMF and ECB are going to prop up Ireland's absurd public service patronage system. Do public service workers assume there will be another Croke Park Agreement ringfencing their place in the economy? Not a hope.
    Wipe some of that froth off you lip there saltees. It's unbecoming.

The last one took 8 days. I wonder why this one takes an extra 2?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Take that as an anti-public service rant if you choose. If you think the IMF and ECB are up for ringfencing the Irish public service you've a nasty shock on the way.

It is called 'slicing and dicing'. The private sector has had the treatment and the public sector is next. If you disagree then fine- we'll soon be able to see who is right on that score. Treat what I said as a prediction and call me on it if you like but all you have to do is look at the history of the IMF where public sector privileges are concerned.

Are you alleging that the IMF give a blind dam about the Irish public sector beyond wanting the sword taken to it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast