Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Speeches, your favorite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Great Speeches, your favorite?

I have many but my favorite is maybe Patrick Pearse's Oration at the Graveside of O'Donovan Rossa, which can be found in its entirety here…

http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?t ... ovan_Rossa

but specifically the following couple of lines from the speech…

‘’ Rulers and Defenders of Realms had need to be wary if they would guard against such processes. Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this Realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace.’’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another favorite of mine is the Last Statement of James Connolly (given to daughter Nora Connolly on eve of murder by the British) which can be found in its entirety at…

http://www.wageslave.org/jcs/archive/160509.html

‘’ We believed that the call we then issued to the people of Ireland, was a nobler call, in a holier cause, than any call issued to them during this war, having any connection with the war. We succeeded in proving that Irishmen are ready to die endeavouring to win for Ireland those national rights which the British Government has been asking them to die to win for Belgium. As long as that remains the case, the cause of Irish freedom is safe’’

‘’ Believing that the British Government has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland, and never can have any right in Ireland, the presence, in any one generation of Irishmen, of even a respectable minority, ready to die to affirm that truth, makes that Government for ever a usurpation and a crime against human progress’’

del

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ray McSharry's budget speech of 1987. There is an excerpt from it on this page.

On one hand, it gave a negative but realistic view of the dire economic outlook at that time, but on the other hand, offered hope for the future, and even a glimpse of the celtic tiger, which was only a few years away, but nobody (else) would have dared to predict back then ....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie ... 00003.html

In many respects this debate can be regarded as a sort of watershed in Irish politics. It will have a considerable influence on the whole political institutional, democratic future, not just of these Twenty-six counties but of the whole island. We must approach the subject very seriously and bearing that in mind. It is right to ask ourselves now what would be the reaction and the effect of this Bill being defeated this evening. I am not interested in the reaction or the effect so far as contraception is concerned because that is no longer relevant. If the Bill is defeated there are two elements on this island who will rejoice to high heaven. They are the Unionists in Northern Ireland and the extremist Roman Catholics in the Republic.
    They are a curious alliance, but they are bound together by the vested interest each of them has in the perpetuation of partition. Neither wishes to know the other. Their wish is to keep this island divided. Most of us here realise that the imposition of partition on this island was a grevious wrong, but its deliberate continuation is equally a grevious wrong. No one who wishes that this island, this race and this nation be united again should try to have that division copper fastened. It does not matter what any of us might like to say to ourselves about what might be the effects of the availability of condoms or anything else, what really matters and what will matter in ten, 20 or 30 years' time is whether the elected representatives of the Irish people decided they wished to underwrite, at least mentally, the concept of partition.

Most of us in the House fervently want to see a 32-county republic on this island.

to
    I will conclude by quoting from a letter in The Irish Times of 16 February, signed by Fr. Dominic Johnson OSB, a monk of Glenstal Abbey where he says

With respect to Mr. O'Malley, he might reflect with profit on the life of St. Thomas More, who put his conscience before politics and lost his life for doing so.

The politics of this would be very easy. The politics would be, to be one of the lads, the safest way in Ireland. But I do not believe that the interests of this State, or our Constitution and of this Republic, would be served by putting politics before conscience in regard to this. There is a choice of a kind that can only be answered by saying that I stand by the Republic and accordingly I will not oppose this Bill.

Dessie O' Malley, 1985.
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is indeed fortunate that Britain's necessity did not reach the point when Mr. Churchill would have invaded Ireland. All credit to him that he successfully resisted the temptation which, I have not doubt, many times assailed him in his difficulties and to which I freely admit many leaders might have easily succumbed. It is indeed hard for the strong to be just to the weak, but acting justly always has its rewards.
    By resisting his temptation in this instance, Mr. Churchill, instead of adding another horrid chapter to the already bloodstained record of the relations between England and this country, has advanced the cause of international morality an important step-one of the most important, indeed, that can be taken on the road to the establishment of any sure basis for peace. . .
    Mr. Churchill is proud of Britain's stand alone, after France had fallen and before America entered the War.
    Could he not find in his heart the generosity to acknowledge that there is a small nation that stood alone not for one year or two, but for several hundred years against aggression; that endured spoliations, famines, massacres in endless succession; that was clubbed many times into insensibility, but that each time on returning to consciousness took up the fight anew; a small nation that could never be got to accept defeat and has never surrendered her soul?
    Mr. Churchill is justly proud of his nation's perseverance against heavy odds. But we in this island are still prouder of our people's perseverance for freedom through all the centuries. We, of our time, have played our part in the perseverance, and we have pledged ourselves to the dead generations who have preserved intact for us this glorious heritage, that we, too, will strive to be faithful to the end, and pass on this tradition unblemished.

Éamon de Valera, 1945.
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has to be Eisenhower's Farewell Address when he warns against the influences of the arms industry...

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... ewell.html

Or alternatively Churchill's "The Finest Hour" speech. Set the tone for the time!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think it has to be Brendan Campbell from Kingscourt.

"I'm not Mr Campbell, I'm Brendan Campbell".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

de Valera to Churchill.

William Wilberforce 18th century slavery abolition speech to the House of Commons.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast