Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: The real cost of Quarryvale

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The real cost of Quarryvale

    Before I start, does anyone else think that politics.ie just isn't complete as an Irish political resource without a dedicated Corruption forum?

    Anyway, after years of bleating, denials, tut-tutting, Moscow car crashes, illnesses, death of the boss, and Fianna Fail rule, I thought it apt that the Irish Times brought the true scandal of planning corruption back into the public domain today with the following articles:

    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22529.html


    On the green fields opposite Liffey Valley's retail parks, two O'Callaghan Properties signs are erected by the road.

    "Future Bus Terminal", reads one. "Site For Offices, Civic Buildings and Medical Centre", announces another. Almost a decade after they were erected, they are faded and even a little battered. The site remains vacant...

    People like the Liffey Valley shopping centre, Forte says, though she adds that most of the shops are out of the price range of most Neilstown residents. "No, it's for people in their big cars on the M50," she says.


    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22521.html

    In May 1991, Dublin County Council voted by a large majority (29-13) to relocate the "town centre" zoning from Balgaddy to Quarryvale, even though the latter is located at the northeastern extremity of the "new town" it was meant to serve - a move described by council planners as "seriously detrimental" to the 1972 county plan.

    Corruption is a great unit shifter for the national media. It made for a great soap opera in the early days of the election. Some great books are written about it, and we all love to chinwag about the galway tent, the golden circle, and the shady dealings in Ireland. Great stories so they are!

    However, planning corruption from the likes of Lawlor and Burke et al (possibly we're told, our Taoiseach, and most certainly a former "patriot") has left a malignant tumour on the face of suburban Dublin. It has, unlike the Radio license scandal, impacted hugely on people's everyday lives. It has destroyed a generation in Neilstown, and will continue to destroy generations of the new commuter belt; the ghettoes of the future.

    These articles are a harsh reminder to those of us who like to look beyond the Sunday papers, and see how these so called "public servants" have caused ongoing misery in their pursuit of prosperity at the expense of the common good.

    Have lessons been learned? Absolutely not. Councillors, no longer corrupt we're told, are still rezoning vast tracts of land against professional advice. For no good obvious reason. The embedded FF-Developer axis still persists and is driving the creation of the Neilstowns and Jobstowns of the 21st Century.

    This aspect of administration in this country has come into sharper focus even more in the last few days, as the Greens go about propping up another malignant FF government. I vote Green and I urge all their members to read these articles and think about them on Sunday.

    The people of Neilstown have had enough, but as the article states, they don't even vote. The question is have Gormley, Ryan, Cuffe et al had enough? Are they willing to be an accomplice to the ongoing environmental and social destruction wrought by FF in the last 10 years?

    I sincerely hope not.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Had FF 29 out of 42 Councillors in 1991?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: The real cost of Quarryvale

    Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    People like the Liffey Valley shopping centre, Forte says, though she adds that most of the shops are out of the price range of most Neilstown residents. "No, it's for people in their big cars on the M50," she says.
    There's an element of bullsh!t there. A visit to the liffey valley shows that teh overwhelming majority of the patrons are working class and many are from the 'lumpen scum' class.

    MM

  4. #4

    Default Re: The real cost of Quarryvale

    Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    Before I start, does anyone else think that politics.ie just isn't complete as an Irish political resource without a dedicated Corruption forum?

    Anyway, after years of bleating, denials, tut-tutting, Moscow car crashes, illnesses, death of the boss, and Fianna Fail rule, I thought it apt that the Irish Times brought the true scandal of planning corruption back into the public domain today with the following articles:

    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22529.html


    On the green fields opposite Liffey Valley's retail parks, two O'Callaghan Properties signs are erected by the road.

    "Future Bus Terminal", reads one. "Site For Offices, Civic Buildings and Medical Centre", announces another. Almost a decade after they were erected, they are faded and even a little battered. The site remains vacant...

    People like the Liffey Valley shopping centre, Forte says, though she adds that most of the shops are out of the price range of most Neilstown residents. "No, it's for people in their big cars on the M50," she says.


    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22521.html

    In May 1991, Dublin County Council voted by a large majority (29-13) to relocate the "town centre" zoning from Balgaddy to Quarryvale, even though the latter is located at the northeastern extremity of the "new town" it was meant to serve - a move described by council planners as "seriously detrimental" to the 1972 county plan.

    Corruption is a great unit shifter for the national media. It made for a great soap opera in the early days of the election. Some great books are written about it, and we all love to chinwag about the galway tent, the golden circle, and the shady dealings in Ireland. Great stories so they are!

    However, planning corruption from the likes of Lawlor and Burke et al (possibly we're told, our Taoiseach, and most certainly a former "patriot") has left a malignant tumour on the face of suburban Dublin. It has, unlike the Radio license scandal, impacted hugely on people's everyday lives. It has destroyed a generation in Neilstown, and will continue to destroy generations of the new commuter belt; the ghettoes of the future.

    These articles are a harsh reminder to those of us who like to look beyond the Sunday papers, and see how these so called "public servants" have caused ongoing misery in their pursuit of prosperity at the expense of the common good.

    Have lessons been learned? Absolutely not. Councillors, no longer corrupt we're told, are still rezoning vast tracts of land against professional advice. For no good obvious reason. The embedded FF-Developer axis still persists and is driving the creation of the Neilstowns and Jobstowns of the 21st Century.

    This aspect of administration in this country has come into sharper focus even more in the last few days, as the Greens go about propping up another malignant FF government. I vote Green and I urge all their members to read these articles and think about them on Sunday.

    The people of Neilstown have had enough, but as the article states, they don't even vote. The question is have Gormley, Ryan, Cuffe et al had enough? Are they willing to be an accomplice to the ongoing environmental and social destruction wrought by FF in the last 10 years?

    I sincerely hope not.
    Great post Alonso

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Had FF 29 out of 42 Councillors in 1991?
    I'm not sure of the numbers and I can't find it online. However I do know that Lawlor, Burke and Haughey were FFers, and we all know the origin of the vast majority of Flood/Mahon tribunal attendants. I also know that the relationships made at the Galway tent matter more to FF than minor matters like housing quality, forward planning, commuting times and social breakdown within the developer led sprawl.

    There's an element of bullsh!t there. A visit to the liffey valley shows that teh overwhelming majority of the patrons are working class and many are from the 'lumpen scum' class.
    True but we all know that LIffey Valley survives as a regional centre attracting money from all over Leinster. The people of Clondalkin were promised a district centre with community services within walking distance of their homes, easily accessible to the growing population. What they got was a monolithic cathedral to consumerism. A raw deal in anyones book.

    "lumpen scum"? Most would see that as a reference to the group of 78 elected by likeminded ignorants...
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: The real cost of Quarryvale

    Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    Before I start, does anyone else think that politics.ie just isn't complete as an Irish political resource without a dedicated Corruption forum?

    Anyway, after years of bleating, denials, tut-tutting, Moscow car crashes, illnesses, death of the boss, and Fianna Fail rule, I thought it apt that the Irish Times brought the true scandal of planning corruption back into the public domain today with the following articles:

    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22529.html


    On the green fields opposite Liffey Valley's retail parks, two O'Callaghan Properties signs are erected by the road.

    "Future Bus Terminal", reads one. "Site For Offices, Civic Buildings and Medical Centre", announces another. Almost a decade after they were erected, they are faded and even a little battered. The site remains vacant...

    People like the Liffey Valley shopping centre, Forte says, though she adds that most of the shops are out of the price range of most Neilstown residents. "No, it's for people in their big cars on the M50," she says.


    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22521.html

    In May 1991, Dublin County Council voted by a large majority (29-13) to relocate the "town centre" zoning from Balgaddy to Quarryvale, even though the latter is located at the northeastern extremity of the "new town" it was meant to serve - a move described by council planners as "seriously detrimental" to the 1972 county plan.

    Corruption is a great unit shifter for the national media. It made for a great soap opera in the early days of the election. Some great books are written about it, and we all love to chinwag about the galway tent, the golden circle, and the shady dealings in Ireland. Great stories so they are!

    However, planning corruption from the likes of Lawlor and Burke et al (possibly we're told, our Taoiseach, and most certainly a former "patriot") has left a malignant tumour on the face of suburban Dublin. It has, unlike the Radio license scandal, impacted hugely on people's everyday lives. It has destroyed a generation in Neilstown, and will continue to destroy generations of the new commuter belt; the ghettoes of the future.

    These articles are a harsh reminder to those of us who like to look beyond the Sunday papers, and see how these so called "public servants" have caused ongoing misery in their pursuit of prosperity at the expense of the common good.

    Have lessons been learned? Absolutely not. Councillors, no longer corrupt we're told, are still rezoning vast tracts of land against professional advice. For no good obvious reason. The embedded FF-Developer axis still persists and is driving the creation of the Neilstowns and Jobstowns of the 21st Century.

    This aspect of administration in this country has come into sharper focus even more in the last few days, as the Greens go about propping up another malignant FF government. I vote Green and I urge all their members to read these articles and think about them on Sunday.

    The people of Neilstown have had enough, but as the article states, they don't even vote. The question is have Gormley, Ryan, Cuffe et al had enough? Are they willing to be an accomplice to the ongoing environmental and social destruction wrought by FF in the last 10 years?

    I sincerely hope not.
    And FG in your area

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: The real cost of Quarryvale

    Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    Before I start, does anyone else think that politics.ie just isn't complete as an Irish political resource without a dedicated Corruption forum?

    Anyway, after years of bleating, denials, tut-tutting, Moscow car crashes, illnesses, death of the boss, and Fianna Fail rule, I thought it apt that the Irish Times brought the true scandal of planning corruption back into the public domain today with the following articles:

    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22529.html


    On the green fields opposite Liffey Valley's retail parks, two O'Callaghan Properties signs are erected by the road.

    "Future Bus Terminal", reads one. "Site For Offices, Civic Buildings and Medical Centre", announces another. Almost a decade after they were erected, they are faded and even a little battered. The site remains vacant...

    People like the Liffey Valley shopping centre, Forte says, though she adds that most of the shops are out of the price range of most Neilstown residents. "No, it's for people in their big cars on the M50," she says.


    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 22521.html

    In May 1991, Dublin County Council voted by a large majority (29-13) to relocate the "town centre" zoning from Balgaddy to Quarryvale, even though the latter is located at the northeastern extremity of the "new town" it was meant to serve - a move described by council planners as "seriously detrimental" to the 1972 county plan.

    Corruption is a great unit shifter for the national media. It made for a great soap opera in the early days of the election. Some great books are written about it, and we all love to chinwag about the galway tent, the golden circle, and the shady dealings in Ireland. Great stories so they are!

    However, planning corruption from the likes of Lawlor and Burke et al (possibly we're told, our Taoiseach, and most certainly a former "patriot") has left a malignant tumour on the face of suburban Dublin. It has, unlike the Radio license scandal, impacted hugely on people's everyday lives. It has destroyed a generation in Neilstown, and will continue to destroy generations of the new commuter belt; the ghettoes of the future.

    These articles are a harsh reminder to those of us who like to look beyond the Sunday papers, and see how these so called "public servants" have caused ongoing misery in their pursuit of prosperity at the expense of the common good.

    Have lessons been learned? Absolutely not. Councillors, no longer corrupt we're told, are still rezoning vast tracts of land against professional advice. For no good obvious reason. The embedded FF-Developer axis still persists and is driving the creation of the Neilstowns and Jobstowns of the 21st Century.

    This aspect of administration in this country has come into sharper focus even more in the last few days, as the Greens go about propping up another malignant FF government. I vote Green and I urge all their members to read these articles and think about them on Sunday.

    The people of Neilstown have had enough, but as the article states, they don't even vote. The question is have Gormley, Ryan, Cuffe et al had enough? Are they willing to be an accomplice to the ongoing environmental and social destruction wrought by FF in the last 10 years?

    I sincerely hope not.
    I wouldnt disagree with most of this however the same type of problems are now going on in the Sandyford/Glencullen areas where the FG/FF alliance on the council are responsible dont hear a word out of you about that.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Abaddon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sorry about showing my ignorance but could one of you explain this term "lumpen scum"?
    IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT SITE = P.ie - Brings out the worst in people!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: The real cost of Quarryvale

    Quote Originally Posted by salt
    I wouldnt disagree with most of this however the same type of problems are now going on in the Sandyford/Glencullen areas where the FG/FF alliance on the council are responsible dont hear a word out of you about that.
    It's actually FG/Labour controlled. What's going on in Glencullen and Sandyford is also wrong. However in the case of Glencullen/Kiltiernan, there is a Local Area Plan being put in place, which is guiding development and has local input. It's far from ideal. Very far. DLR has been pressurised by the DoE to rezone practically all land that's not mountain or sea in order to meet their housing requirements. It is a poor overstretched Council executive, but to compare the mechanism used to develop Glencullen/Kiltiernan to that which brought us Quarryvale is unfair.

    In the case of Sandyford IE the Council have been utterly negligent. There is no guiding statutory plan (adopted by Councillors) in place here, and every development is judged in a piecemeal manner by the executive, and ultimately the bord. A policy decision was made to redevelop this previously warehouse district into a mixed use employment/residential quarter a few years ago. However they snoozed and developers have swarmed in. But still, poor planning and negligence does not equal corruption.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon
    Sorry about showing my ignorance but could one of you explain this term "lumpen scum"?
    it was mountainyman's way of describing people in Shopping centres who may speak with an accent different to his, and wear tracksuits and runners rather than cords and deck shoes.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •