Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 year old teacher, David McGuinness, selected by FF to defend Lenihan's seat in DW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 25 year old teacher, David McGuinness, selected by FF to defend Lenihan's seat in DW.

25-year-old councillor to defend Lenihan's Dail seat - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Councillor David McGuinness has won the right to represent Fianna Fail in the forthcoming by-election in Dublin West after having defeated eventually, by lots, Edward MacManus (a 45 year old pharmacist)

Best of luck to Mr. McGuinness. . . As he faces Mission Impossible especially as he only received 623 first preference votes in the recent general election.

No doubt his profession is bound to wind up alot of posters here.

TurnThatCorner

1.47% of the vote in a Const. where he was a sitting Cllr. for under 2 years, and where he works as a secondary school teacher. Christ I know he was FF in a Dublin that was gone right off the prats but he must surely know that many people given what he does. His performance was the worst out of any FF candidate in the state, with even new FF first time runners massively out performing him.

He is a joke candidate and a sign of how they have throw in the towel in Dublin West.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The manner of his win could possibly undermine his campaign as it's not the way you'd like to win or lose a nomination.If Fianna Fail ran Chuck Norris they'd still struggle to have any realistic chance here,a Lenihan on the ballot paper would have given the inevitable defeat a more respectable gloss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

set up to take one for the team.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah yes, I'm sure he got an amazing pep talk. Martin hugging people he'd cross the street to avoid a few years ago. I think MM is doing a great job of winding up FF (in all senses of the word).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He's a pretty good choice all told. Unknown, young, able to clearly state he had no part in recent catastrophes and they get to pretend they're changing. There was no prayer of winning the seat anyway, so this pick helps them in their long term strategy.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the better decisions taken by the party in a while. Far better than bringing in a Lenihan or Hanafin type. Of course he won't take the seat, but his task is to better FF's average in the last election surely. Is he a teacher? That's awful alright. It really hurt Enda Kenny in the last election...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DownTheyGo View Post
    set up to take one for the team.
    Absolutely. A cleverish tactic. "Building for the future", even though we'll likely never hear of him again. Easier to explain away the crushing defeat, which we will be told is due to selecting an inexperienced candidate (and not because FF is viscerally hated by most of the populace).

D

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only because it's in the thread title..

RTE say he's 26 David McGuinness to contest by-election for FF - RT News

Dylan2010

I'd just question the mindset of someone that would run for FF. self interested careerist comes to mind and clearily lacking in moral scruples. Do we really want to give these people monopoly power over our lives?

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast