Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Virtual Gaeltachti?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Virtual Gaeltachti?

I think this would be a good idea for those of us who live abroad and who would like to learn Irish but have no access to needed resources. I know there are a few sites on the net that puport to teach Irish, but most of them are lacking.

We already have a few virtual Gaeltachtaí around the place Barna, Claregalway, Carnmore, Dingle, Sean-Phobal etc. etc.

But in all seriousness how would your virtual-Gaeltacht work?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone should set up an Irish speaking area on SecondLife, thoughts? I would if I had the money.....
    "Let no man doubt who will be Master of Ireland when Ireland is free. The People will be the Masters, The Great, Splendid Common, Sovereign People."-- Padraig Pearse

What`s Second Life? Am I betraying my age here?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anmajornarthainig
    But in all seriousness how would your virtual-Gaeltacht work?
    It could be based on good a good language software program ie, Pimsleur. It would incorporate voice recognition and a system of volunteer mentors to assist students. It would also incorporate existing internet communication features like Skype. There are probably plenty of Irish enthusiasts, I'm sure, who'd be willing to give up some of their time to further the language.

I didn`t really understand anything except for the last sentence. But it sounds good.

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I came across this thread on the first page when I typed the term "virtual Gaeltacht" into Google.
    It is something I have been thinking about. I remember Éamon Ó Cuív said on Prime Time a few years ago that with technological advances the whole country will become a virtual Gaeltacht. I also heard Eamon Gilmore and Donncha Ó hEallaithe from GMIT talking about it on radio one night a few years ago.
    If all major computer and business applications have a Gaeilge option in the future then the whole world will become a virtual Gaeltacht. We already have a virtual Gaeltacht in Ireland with some of the initiatives in the last 20 years. I use the Gaeilge option on the applications that have it- on my mobile phone, Google, Facebook, Peoplesrepublicofcork.com and on ATM's. When I say we have a virtual Gaeltacht in most of Ireland now I mean that we have glimpses of being in a Gaeltacht wherever we are in Ireland on account of some of the technological applications we have in Irish. It is a great feeling. Vbulletin- the computer application for this site- now has a Gaeilge option as well! The future looks promising in relation to Irish I think!
    Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 15th April 2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Use the Irish foru here in conjunction with skype

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daltaí boards is a good site run from the States. Gaeltacht Minnesota is pretty good to. You can follow them on twitter for the odd tweet. Grainne Seoige tweeds as Gaeilge occaisionally, as does Dara O'Brien, and I am sure lots of others do too.

D

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a list of people on twitter that tweet in Irish from time to time:
    Indigenous Tweets: Gaeilge

You can sort them by percentage of tweets in Irish by clicking on the "% Gaeilge" column.