Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Monaghan Hospital Community Alliance-What next?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Monaghan Hospital Community Alliance-What next?

After their strategy of vote for anyone but FF bombed. What next for this group and their hospital campaign? We've had the crap video and song.
    Should they disband?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disband, would'nt that be great, but its unlikely, after all Northern sound would have nothing to do every day, oh sorry I meant to say Seymour FM would have nothing to do.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The self styled and self appointed MHA’s political campaign should end immediately. It is clear that their strategy has failed.

They have met the Taoiseach on numerous occasions. They have met every Minister and Junior Minister who has entered the county in the past five years. They have protested in both Monaghan and Dublin. The helped to elect Paudge Connolly to the Dail in 2002 and they derailed his campaign in 2007 ensuring that he could not be re-elected.

Whichever genius on their committee came up with the idea of anyone but FF has played right into the Governments hands. I believe the single biggest error of judgement was to isolate Margaret Conlon. As a new candidate in the field she should have been invited to the meeting to sign the document (contract?). However the MHA chose to leave her on the outside. This was a politically motivated act. The outcome of this is that the incoming Government with the exception of any Green Party Ministers will be under no obligation to meet the MHA in the future.

The second biggest error of judgement (imho) in the alliance strategy to date was the attack on the Ceann Comhairle of Dail Eireann at the opening of the Monaghan bypass. Many people have different opinions as to both Fianna Fail’s and Rory O’Hanlon’s contribution to Monaghan Hospital survival both before and after 1987 when he was Minister for Health. Irrespective of anyones opinion on this the MHA actively encouraged the behaviour on that day which lead to this man being assaulted. I witnessed a steward of the MHA walking along side him with a loudhailer screaming abuse at him. The CC is over 70 years of age and was physically and verbally assaulted by a mob which had been driven to a frenzy in anticipation of his arrival by committee members of the MHA. This was a turning point in the campaign because while many in Monaghan were congratulating themselves on a job well done I was hearing all over Ireland about the thugs in Monaghan who attacked a senior and respected politician. I was astonished to hear a doctor on the radio later that day trying to justify this attack on the grounds of frustration over the hospital. Any assault on any individual can never be justified. I believe that many people in Monaghan were genuinely shocked at what happened and walked away from further protests for this reason.

Personally I think the MHA campaign is over. However, the Hospital still needs a voice. The MHA should disband and allow some less politically biased and more realistic personnel to take up the baton.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately the MHA may have had its day. Their new spokesperson is now Mary Harney. People voted for immediate address of economic issues. People are afraid of a downturn in the economy and decided FF are the best managers to take us through it. Very few need medical services at the moment so they put the issue on the long finger.

When the dust settles and the new cut backs are announced people will b*tch about it; but its too late. The people get what they deserve.
    A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves. (B. de Jouvenel)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It true that the Alliance took a misguided approach to the Election and were exposed as politically naive at the very least. Their cause has some merit but after 6 years of telling us that catastrophy was apon us because of the Hospital closing, it is clear it hasn't. The NE does need less hospitals, but the Teamwork report is complete nonsense.
    As for Northern Sound, well there are other news stories in these parts other than the antics of MHA. I think listeners in the Cavan area are bored stiff with this issue hoggig the news on local radio.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The MHA have never mounted a serious or efficient campaign in saving Monaghan hospital. To be honest Monaghan hospital was used as a diving board into the political arena for most and no progress was made by any of these individuals. However engaging Conlon before the elections would have had no results and I think they were right to take an anti-FF stance as FF have habits of making promises before elections only to do a complete U-turn. The only viable option to save Monaghan hospital is ousting FF altogether as the Dept of Health seems totally ignorant of the Monaghan populations concerns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the campaigners would be far better served engaging with those who are likely to be in government after the next GE, so a fine gael candidate sympathetic to thier cause would seem to be the best bet unless labour come up with a cracker of a candidiate with a ready built profile in the constituency i dont feel they have a realistic chance, sinn fein will not be in govt neither will fianna fail and an independent in a non hung dail is about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know how Cllr. Sean Conlon is doing in the Polls??? I went to school with him Cllr. CMD

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dunno Nenagh. I haven't seen a constituency poll, but I would guess it's a two-way tie for the 5th seat between FG3 and SF2, unless there are really interesting quirks in the transfer patterns.
    Whether Conlon is the FG2 or FG3 is also a moot point but I'd guess he's third... and indeed there are reports his campaign is going rogue on another thread here; whether they're fair or not I don't know.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ drumlin utopian - cheers for that. Your name would be a gr8 name for a horse or dog Cllr. CMD