Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Adolf Hitler: the IRA's part in his downfall:

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Adolf Hitler: the IRA's part in his downfall:

Extremely interesting and comprehensive article discussing the attitudes of the IRA towards Nazi Germany:

www.historyireland.com/magazine/features/13.3FeatA.html

I thought you were going.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Hopefully I'll be able to break it though.

Read the article.

It is (a) interesting and (b) reasonably objective.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An interesting article. Russell's case should serve as a reminder of what apolitical "anti-imperialism" results in.
    "Somewhere out on that horizon, out beyond the neon lights/ I know there must be something better/ But there's nowhere else in sight/" - Joe Walsh, "In the City"
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mbari hogun
    An interesting article. Russell's case should serve as a reminder of what apolitical "anti-imperialism" results in.
    Not really. Firstly 'apolitical "anti-imperialism"' is a contradiction in terms. But that's just being picky.

However, I think it would be more accurate to say that Russell's case should serve as a reminder of what can happen when you focus on a single political issue without due regard to wider moral or political concerns.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's exactly what I meant. By apolitical anti-imperialism, I mean the mindset that places anti-imperialism as a value above all others. The positions of fellow anti-imperialists do not matter, it's their resistance to "Empire" that is paramount. Hence the SWP's support of the Iraqi resistance, etc.

For this site, I'd say "Bogwarrior" is a good example of this tendency.
    "Somewhere out on that horizon, out beyond the neon lights/ I know there must be something better/ But there's nowhere else in sight/" - Joe Walsh, "In the City"
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh good - a thread on this article all by itself...

Pogo can you clear this up?

ireland2004 wrote:
    Not that I have ever actually commemorated him but how do you know he (Russell) was a racist and an anti-semite?

Pogo wrote:
    I think game set and match to the anti-republicans ...........

and then I said to you:
    I haven't read the entire article by Brian Hanley yet (as im going to bed soon) - but quickly skimmed over it and (apologies if I have missed it) I can't see anything that proves Russell to be an anti semite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, there is nothing to say specifically that he was an anti-semite.

However someone in Germany in the late 30s, early 40s who was not anti-semetic would have felt rather uncomfortable, don't you think?

And would not, perhaps, have encouraged them to invade Ireland.

I once read the auto-biography of the man in charge of Auschwitz. He didn't specifically state that he disliked Jews. He just reluctantly did what he had to do .........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hanley "writes", or used to write for Fourthwrite - the journal of republican dissidents. I wonder does he feel that he shares any of the responsibility for Omagh? He was/is also a supporter of Trotskyist groups. Does he share the blame for the atrocities committed by the Bolsheviks between 1917 and 1924?

Mind you, he displays unusually careerist acumen for a trot - he'll never be unemployed attacking republicans

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd seen that article and it shed light for me on the IRA's links with and attitude to Nazi Germany.

The key point is that while there were many in 1940s Ireland who were pro-German and anti-semitic, the IRA was the only organisation that sought and actively worked to bring about a Nazi invasion. Had this happened, there's no doubt that they would have fully collaborated, including in the Nazi extermination of the Jews, and they would probably have ended up as the main components of an Irish SS division on the Eastern Front.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast