Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Dear Ex-Deputy......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dear Ex-Deputy......

I was watching an interview the 2nd day of the count, with Martin Mansergh. The interviewer congratulated him on "becoming a TD". Manzer being Manzer, he explained that constitutionally he is still a senator, but becomes a TD when he signs in with the clerk of the Dail, when the new Dail meets. Or something like that.

Does anyone know the situation with an outgoing TD, defeated in the election, kind of the opposite to Manzer.
    When does s/he cease to be a TD? Is it when the returning officer deems the new TDs elected? (Which is what I thought). Or is it when the new Teachtai sign themselves in? Or some point in between?

I ask this because in my job sometimes you have to write to TDs, and at the moment a situation has arisen where we are replying to letters written by a member of the 29th Dail, written before the election.
    I was asked how does one begin the letter in the case of TD who lost out. Is it still "Dear Deputy". I answered decisively - "there is a case for yes, and there is a case for no". In the end, we started all the letters with "Dear Deputy", for the sake of form and not to rub salt in any wounds. Are we constitutionally correct, does anyone know/care?
    genua, et asinus praesepe Osculer, oro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know, all TDs cease to be TDs the moment the President signs the declaration dissolving the Dáil. This creates 166 vacancies and necessitates a general election.

Ministers on the other hand continue in office, as there is no Dáil to change the composition of the cabinet.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But wouldn't that mean that for a few weeks, the Taoiseach is not a TD? It's not impossible of course, our current Minister for Justice is not a TD (or is he?).

I imagine that it's the Dáil that is dissolved, but that the TDs retain their authority until the election when the electorate make a new appointment.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrrr
    But wouldn't that mean that for a few weeks, the Taoiseach is not a TD? It's not impossible of course, our current Minister for Justice is not a TD.

I imagine that it's the Dáil that is dissolved, but that the TDs retain their authority until the election when the electorate make a new appointment.
    Yes. He isn't. There are no TDs from the moment the President signs the Proclamation.

During WWII, to deal with the risk that the Nazis might invade in the interregnum between Dála, when there would be no Dáil in existence to declare an emergency or declare war, an extra-constitutional law allowed the election to take place ahead of a dissolution. That was repealed after the War.

The procedure is simple.

The President dissolves the Dáil. That terminates all 166 TDs' membership of the Dáil.

An election is called for a specified date to fill the 166 empty seats.

On election day, one seat, the Ceann Comhairle's, is filled first. The rest are subject to election.

TDs-elect become TDs when the sign the register to become a TD.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrrr
    But wouldn't that mean that for a few weeks, the Taoiseach is not a TD? It's not impossible of course, our current Minister for Justice is not a TD (or is he?).

I imagine that it's the Dáil that is dissolved, but that the TDs retain their authority until the election when the electorate make a new appointment. I imagine that this is the case once they register as TDs as they have been doing this week, regardless of when the first Dáil formally convenes.
    The President and the Ceann Comhairle both have the power to call the House into session early. As there is now no Ceann Comhairle, only the President could bring forward the session.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi
    I have noticed that Andrew Doyle here in Wicklow has "Andrew Doyle TD"on his Election posters.I thought that once the Dail has been dissolved surely all members of the Dail cease to be TDs.