Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous homophobia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dangerous homophobia

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0530/paisleyi.html

watch- http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... w=bb&mp=rm

Following in his fathers footsteps of the " save ulster from sodomy" campaign, Ian Jr. who calls "those people" as a whole damaging to society is well on his way to becoming another anti-gay promoter in the north.
    Mr Paisley is quoted as saying:

'I am, unsurprisingly, a straight person..."
    "I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong
    I think that those people harm themselves and - without caring about it - harm society."

Vulnerable groups who are potential victims of discrimination should be able to look to him for help, not attack.
    Ian Paisley is a junior minister in the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister, the department which is charged with promoting equality.

Sinn Féin response -
    we demand he appolagises, this is dangerous homophobia.

Gay rights campaigner Andrew Muir response -
    "Our research proves that 29% of young people have actually attempted suicide because of homophobia in society and I think these comments are very concerning," he said.

DUP response -
    There was no suggestion Mr Paisley's comments were any form of discrimination.

In 2005, Ian Paisley Jr was formally censured by the NI Policing Board for homophobic comments he made about an adviser to then Ulster Unionist leader, David Trimble.

Paisleys Jr.anti-gay past.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0203/paisleyi.html

Paisley Seniors anti-gay past.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Ulster_from_Sodomy

Paisleys "save ulster from sodomy" campaign was quickly met with the "save sodomy from ulster" campaign.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Dangerous homophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    Following in his fathers footsteps of the " save ulster from sodomy" campaign, Ian Jr. who calls "those people" as a whole damaging to society is well on his way to becoming another anti-gay promoter in the north.

I think that those people harm themselves and - without caring about it - harm society."

Vulnerable groups who are potential victims of discrimination should be able to look to him for help, not attack.

Ian Paisley is a junior minister in the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister, the department which is charged with promoting equality.

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6705637.stm
    good straight talking from paisley
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beardyboy

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

Nice of our own resident republican bigot to join us here. Watch now as the usual homophobic rabble, Skinner, Unicorn et al, all stampede to this page to make ejjits of themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely, all these gays need to be taught a lesson.

(That lesson may or may not be that the DUP is composed of bigoted morons...)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weve heard that kind of "straight talking" before from the DUP.
    Last time i remember it was from one of their members who turned out to be gay.

So they can now officially add "homophobia" to their list along with "bigots".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New Avenger

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

Nice of our own resident republican bigot to join us here. Watch now as the usual homophobic rabble, Skinner, Unicorn et al, all stampede to this page to make ejjits of themselves.
    I am not a republican you eejit - I may be an ejjit or is that an eejit?
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New Avenger

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of times people take a subject and spin it around on republicans or sinn fein.
    No reason needed, and no need to comment on the topic either

A thread on anti-gay unionist DUP comments is met with a reply calling Republicans bigots????? :

Just right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Typical unionist drivel - if you're not a WASP then you've no place in society.

How can a gay person vote for these muppets?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This shows up a problem with our system of government up here. If Ruth Kelly (his British equivalent) said this she'dprobably have to resign but under the GFA there's no real way to hold Baby Doc accountable as it just turns into a sectarian headcount. He has the civil right to be a bigotted fool if he wants but as a minister he has to learn that his public statements have to reflect policy. Thankfully the Brits have left a very positive legal framework in place (arguably better than in the south) but I'd worry that this is signal that it will be eroded by neglect rather than active discrimination.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast