Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF prepare to re-organise

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF prepare to re-organise

We all know about the re-organising going on in Mayo for various reasons but this is something that will take place all over the country in various degrees before the next G.E.

Is the time right for new blood, new ideaís, a big recruitment drive?

Do they need a massive overall of the way they are organised or will slight changes be enough.

The only rule changes that Iíve heard of is that they are going to cut down on the number of cummans and also that no chairman can serve longer than 4 years as head of a cumman. One case in east galway where a guy has been a chairman for over 40 years.

Bertie is to attend a meeting in Galway west this weekend in order to set the wheels in motion on the re-organisation of the party there. A place where they feel they could get a third seat if they were organised better.

Default Re: FF prepare to re-organise.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnů

Bertie is to attend a meeting in Galway west this weekend in order to set the wheels in motion on the re-organisation of the party there. A place where they feel they could get a third seat if they were organised better.
    To get a third seat they could reorganise, or, just be a least a half competent government............

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Andrew-formerly'Danny']
    Quote Originally Posted by "Arnů":l90ke1er

To get a third seat they could reorganise, or, just be a least a half competent government............[/quote:l90ke1er]

Or get rid of M. Cox and put someone in the senate who the people would want to vote for. Organisation can do so much but you have to have a canditate who the people believe in.

Cox's recent foray into the opposition against Harney will do her some good but she doesn't have the depth to be a good politician.

Or get rid of M. Cox and put someone in the senate who the people would want to vote for. Organisation can do so much but you have to have a canditate who the people believe in.

Cox's recent foray into the opposition against Harney will do her some good but she doesn't have the depth to be a good politician.
    It did raise her profile a good vbit, but I'm wondering would her attention grabbing tactics have pissed of the party members [i.e. the ones that select the candidate] by portraying the government as incompetent?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Party members, no. if you donít critise Harney and McDowell your seen as being disloyal to FF. It was directed at Harney. Any pot shots at Harney and the pdís are seen as a good thing and takes blame off FF for any problems in health. More importantly in Galway Grealish is made to be seen by Cox as the man who wonít stand up to Harney and demand that Harney give Galway itís share. This is important to Cox because she needs to take votes from Grealish in order to get in. Itís his seat thatís up for grabs for FF much like FG taking seats from Lab. She needs to be ahead of him to get transfers from him.

It was Grealish who defended Harney while O Cuiv, Fahy kept quiet. Cox was smart about this she said that they needed to keep the pressure on to insure that they get the service in galway in two years time. While this will come anyway as Harney was committed to it, when it does comes (around election time) Grealish wonít be able to take all the credit as Cox will say it was her pressure that made sure that Harney couldnít back track and most will believe her.

But it is a risky strategy from cox to break rank, FF Hq (grass roots will be) will not be happy with her for not towing the line and going on a solo run. If she gets in well and good if she doesnít hq wonít give her a third chance and they will be more than happy to start looking for someone more loyal who can take the seat in Galway West.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: FF prepare to re-organise

Is the time right for new blood, new ideaís, a big recruitment drive?
    Don't hold your breath. FF's record on recruitment drives in the past is fairly pathetic, as pointed out by Cowen himslef. Local head honchos don't want new members in FF - simple as that.

The FF cumann in my hometown has an average age of between 60 and 65 (at a guess). The youngest active member is the local Councillor.
    The man who has been at the head of this cumman for as long as my parents can remember is still in situ. The only problem for him, is that all of his grandchildren are now Shinners. Relatives of many other cumann members have also joined SF.
    If this pattern is happening on any kind of national scale, it could spell disaster for FF.

However, I am really looking forward to Cowen's initiative to organise FF in Northern Ireland.
    The money, time and energy they spend on this venture will be of enormous benefit to Fine Gael and Labour as the general election approaches
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The youngest active member is the local Councillor.
    The man who has been at the head of this cumman for as long as my parents can remember is still in situ. The only problem for him, is that all of his grandchildren are now Shinners. Relatives of many other cumann members have also joined SF.
    If this pattern is happening on any kind of national scale, it could spell disaster for FF.
    True, but its great for SF isn't Barry. Which would you prefer more, a strong FF or a strong SF ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    FF's record on recruitment drives in the past is fairly pathetic, as pointed out by Cowen himslef. Local head honchos don't want new members in FF - simple as that.
    For the first time ever I agree with something Barry has said in relation to FF.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus Biffo, will you stop, your only encouraging him
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Reports in the Galway 'City Tribune' that the FF Tent at the races could become a thing of the past as it as seens as 'elitest'. Meanwhile, the grassroots want a FF office to open in the city.
    So now they'll get less money but have more expenses-seems they have the same approach to their own finances as they do the countries!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast