Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albert

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Albert

What is it about Fianna Fail and forgetting Albert. O.K. Haughey was the darling of the grassroots, the man everyone loves to hate, Lemass was the pragmatist everyone things he did a good job but knows nothing about him, deV was well...deV lets not foget, the Bass guzzeling Taoiseach from Dromcondra and Jack who could forget Jack the man everyone loved (once Haughey was gone) you know Dessie O' Malley's friend. Then there was Albert. The point I'm making, or trying to is Albert Reynolds is a much forgotten figure within Fianna Fail and why>he fecked up as regards coalitions. Otherwise he was a great Taoiseach especially regarding Nt. Ireland and its time that Fianna Fail actually wake up to the fact that Reynolds was one of our better leaders. And a damn nice guy too.
    So, I see you wear shoes. Me too! want to have sex?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Albert

Quote Originally Posted by west_brit
    The point I'm making, or trying to is Albert Reynolds is a much forgotten figure within Fianna Fail
    What makes you think that?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think because of the part he played in the Peace process he will always be remembered. That is his big achievment. The other leaders served longer so maybe if he had more time he would have done more?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Albert Reynolds had the shortest term of any FF leader. He only fought one General Election, and it resulted in the worst performance since the party was founded.

He mired himself in the Beef Tribunal, as if it was a personal crusade to clear his name of wrongdoing. In coalition he was too pig-headed and unwilling to compromise. His untimely downfall was of his own making.

On the upside though he did pave the way for new blood in FF. By sacking all of those who had been around forever (Burke, Mary O’ Rourke, Collins of Arabia, et al.) and also by sacking pathetic and piss-poor Ministers who were only in situ because of the distance they could get their tongue’s up Haughey’s rear end (Vincent Brady, Rory O’ Hanlon, Noel Davern, Brendan “Tax-the-Rod” Daly) he paved the way for new blood like Cowen, Dempsey, Dermot Ahern and (dare I say it) Charlie McCreevy.

And what did Ahern do ? Brought Burke and the Schoolmarm straight back to Cabinet in 1997, only for them to make a balls of their posts. History is bunk!

As leader of FF, Reynolds actually stood for something and did something about it. In this he was possibly unique.
    His term as FF leader did a lot to boost FF in the longterm, unlike his predecessor who nearly destroted the party, and his successor- who is well along the road to doing likewise.

For these reasons it suits a lot of people to airbrush him out. Even Ahern has tried to do so. Remember the 1997 selection for President?!
    Ahern shafted Albert, made a mockery of O’ Kennedy, and parachuted in some lawyer with a bad hairdo that no-one had ever heard of.
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    Even Ahern has tried to do so. Remember the 1997 selection for President?!
    Ahern shafted Albert, made a mockery of O’ Kennedy, and parachuted in some lawyer with a bad hairdo that no-one had ever heard of.
    I remember when that happened and although McAllese is a steady pair of hands and prehaps had Reynolds run he would not have won; we'll never know, but having said that I thought it was a sad day for Albert and I felt for the guy. He should not have been treated that way.

What incident are you refering to as the mockery of O'Kennedy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnó
    I think because of the part he played in the Peace process he will always be remembered. That is his big achievment. The other leaders served longer so maybe if he had more time he would have done more?
    Bert Reynolds always liked to give the impression he was driving the Peace Process, when in reality it fell on his lap. It would've happened anyway. Adams and his contacts in MI6 had it in their plans for years.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnó
    Bert Reynolds always liked to give the impression he was driving the Peace Process, when in reality it fell on his lap. It would've happened anyway. Adams and his contacts in MI6 had it in their plans for years.
    He had a major part to play. Just imagine if John Bruton was there instead of him. Was he the most important person No but he did play a part and he played it well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BarryW displaying his unique and traditionally well informed knowledge of Fianna Fáil today

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    Albert Reynolds had the shortest term of any FF leader. He only fought one General Election, and it resulted in the worst performance since the party was founded.

and also by sacking pathetic and piss-poor Ministers who were only in situ because of the distance they could get their tongue’s up Haughey’s rear end (Vincent Brady, Rory O’ Hanlon, Noel Davern, Brendan “Tax-the-Rod” Daly) he paved the way for new blood like Cowen, Dempsey, Dermot Ahern and (dare I say it) Charlie McCreevy.

As leader of FF, Reynolds actually stood for something and did something about it. In this he was possibly unique.
    His term as FF leader did a lot to boost FF in the longterm, unlike his predecessor who nearly destroted the party, and his successor- who is well along the road to doing likewise.

For these reasons it suits a lot of people to airbrush him out. Even Ahern has tried to do so. Remember the 1997 selection for President?!
    "Everyone hates Fianna Fáil except the electorate."

Unattributed correspondent, 1960s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegeneral
    BarryW displaying his unique and traditionally well informed knowledge of Fianna Fáil today
    I notice you haven't bothered to point out what my inaccuracies are.

Feel free to do so, if I'm so wide of the mark
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it fair to say that Albert is'nt exactly enamoured with FF at the moment either? I say this as a) he attempted to put the boot in to Bertie a few years ago as regards letting it slip that he told Ahern Ray burke was unfit for office and b) he was pictured at some SF 100-years-of-age celebration in the Mansion house a few months back, at a time when FF were putting the boot into SF.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast