Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael and Sinn Fein

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael and Sinn Fein

Speaking as a Labour supporter, Labour and Fine Gael are loopy not to even accept out of government support from Sinn Fein. FF have already laid the groundwork in saying that they can't stop people voting for them. This is an opportunity to get FF out of government and they're throwing it all away (in PD speak ).

They could have got general agreement in policy directions without anything specific.
    The sellout has begun

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you really want a government that is dependant on SF support?
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbob1972
    SF "hands off" support for a Rainbow Government OR a Bertie Bung corrupt government ?

hmmm.....I'll have to get back to you on that.
    The sellout has begun

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could cope with a government requiring the support of Ferris, Morgan, O'Snodaigh and O'Caolain - but it'd have to be those four effectively operating as an autonomous group. For all that Adams is party president, and McGuinness is whatever he is, the fact is that neither is elected to public office in the Republic, and the four TDs couldn't be going to him seeking approval on everything every other week. Plus, if the SF parliamentary party was actually formed as such, it might be possible to thus draw a distinction between it and the broader SF movement that effectively contains the IRA as well. And that would make it a lot easier for FG members to support it.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I don't think Sinn Féin should for one second contemplate a coalition or unwritten deal at this juncture, I have to say it is a disgrace the way the other parties have dealt with them, almost treating Sinn Féin as the untouchables.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The SF option of supporting a government but not in it is tempting but probably too dangerous for the alternative coalition parties. The electorate has a way of punishing smaller parties for decisions it does not like. If would be difficult for these parties to go back to the people in an election that was caused by SF withdrawing support. SF will eventually be in government but probably with FF.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seánod
    While I don't think Sinn Féin should for one second contemplate a coalition or unwritten deal at this juncture, I have to say it is a disgrace the way the other parties have dealt with them, almost treating Sinn Féin as the untouchables.
    I actually agree with you on that score. At least show them how the system works and do them the courtesy of having a chat. I guarantee that in 5 years time, they will all be talking to each other. At the very least if paisley can go into govt with Adams, we can at least talk to them.
    The sellout has begun

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    The SF option of supporting a government but not in it is tempting but probably too dangerous for the alternative coalition parties. The electorate has a way of punishing smaller parties for decisions it does not like. If would be difficult for these parties to go back to the people in an election that was caused by SF withdrawing support. SF will eventually be in government but probably with FF.
    But adopting that attitude, it means Ahern is going into government (unless Mahon saves the day). And worse, Harney will complete the co-location/public contracts.
    The sellout has begun

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster

I could cope with a government requiring the support of Ferris, Morgan, O'Snodaigh and O'Caolain - but it'd have to be those four effectively operating as an autonomous group. For all that Adams is party president, and McGuinness is whatever he is, the fact is that neither is elected to public office in the Republic, and the four TDs couldn't be going to him seeking approval on everything every other week. Plus, if the SF parliamentary party was actually formed as such, it might be possible to thus draw a distinction between it and the broader SF movement that effectively contains the IRA as well. And that would make it a lot easier for FG members to support it.
    now what do you think the odds of that being the 4 mentioned above are SF members and proud of same, they would not function as independants but as SF representatives in the Dail, as to whether they'd make decisions on their own or differ to SF HQ what do you think ? it would in effect be Adam's and McGuiness using them as proxies
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Fine Gael and Sinn Fein

Quote Originally Posted by Movealong
    Speaking as a Labour supporter, Labour and Fine Gael are loopy not to even accept out of government support from Sinn Fein. FF have already laid the groundwork in saying that they can't stop people voting for them. This is an opportunity to get FF out of government and they're throwing it all away (in PD speak ).

They could have got general agreement in policy directions without anything specific.
    I note your signature is "A vote for FF is a vote for FF/SF govt".
    Did you actually mean "A vote for the Alliance of Losers is a vote for SF govt"?
    genua, et asinus praesepe Osculer, oro

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast