Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clare Postmortem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Clare Postmortem

Dooley, Killeen, Pat Breen and Carey. Not many predicted Careys success but to those that did, congrats and indeed congrats to Clare FG at large. Good result for ye. We were mighty dissapointed at Daly missing out especially when early on in the day it seemed very possible but lack of transfers cost us dearly. Brendan has claimed that he is finished with politics after a long career. Where many argued and disputed with him, everyone that does know him has nothing but respect for the man.

Timmy's preformance was very pleasing as was Tony's. Pat Breen was always a dead cert in my mind and I'm please for my fellow parishoners in the Breen clan. Carey really cleaned up in Ennis and transfered very well. Very effective, visible campaign.

James Breen is contemplating his future but sources close to the Kilnamona man say early indications are that he's fed up with the political game.

MTQ is facing too possibilities. Get the nod from Enda Kenny and take 5 years in the Seanad or rest on her council seat from now on.

Mulcahy did well in Shannon but not excellent elsewhere. Did better than I gave him credit for. Didn't realise how popular he was in FG even though he made it through convention when they were originally looking for only 2. Running 4 paid off with good transferring within the party.

Prior's people are claiming that she's gonna run for town and county council seats in Ennis UDC/elecoral area. This I believe is coming from the fact that last time outs poll topper (Carey) has moved on to bigger things. Personnally I think this is madness seeing how well she did from the Shannon boxes. Ennis EA(electoral area) responded well to her in the town but not the country. Take Ballyea, total poll 355, Prior votes 4. Simillar story in other rural boxes in the EA. Shannon should be her focus.

Fitzgerald and Collins proved they are unelectable in Clare. Madness to have them running in the first place and a glorious waste of money.

Meaney failed again and my fellow Ballyea man say his vote drop. Good councillor, very nice bloke but will not make it to Leinster House.

Thoughts, comments? Am I way off the mark?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't say Fitzgerald is unelectable - just that he has a long way to go, and being geographically disadvantaged doesn't help. But he has the willingness for the long hard slog so we shall see. Certainly he has a good reputation in his own council area and is close to the top in terms of motions submitted to the council every month.

Part of the problem was that a good strip of his core area was voting in Limerick east. From what I saw of the boxes that were in his area he should easily hold his council seat in a few year's time. He's pretty new on the scene, wasn't even involved in politics before 2004.

Anyhow aside from that, I was surprised at Brendan Daly's vote holding up so well. I was surprised at Brian Meaney's vote dropping, certainly he is a hard working councillor. Perhaps a stab at the senate? He's certainly an example of how hard work does pay off in the end, even in areas where people would tend to write you off. I can remember discussions 10 years ago about how the Greens would never pick up a council seat in Clare, but he put the work in and pulled it off.

I agree with you on MTQ, Prior could be interesting as to what she decides to do. This election didn't do her any harm that's for sure.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MTQ shoud be politely thanked for her contributions (endless losing ones) and not given a senate post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MTQ was on Clare FM during Friday, after her elimination, accusing those in her own party of dirty tricks. Is she for real. Maddalin get over yourself. You will never be a TD for Clare again. We don't want you.

Must say I didn't see the drop in Meaney's vote coming either but from the responce at the door I knew Daly would poll well and did think (a bit optimistically maybe) that the 3 seats were on.

Pascal is still a bit of a mystery to me I must adnit but 870 votes is not a good starting base to kick of a long hault Dáil campaign over a few terms IMO. Although I could be proven wrong. Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so. More members and canvassers needed there. (Don't kill me it's just an opinion of someone on the outside looking in). Pascal didn't look all too dejected at the bar though after the tally figures were in. Maybe the though of having a safe enough council seat was good concilation!

It'll be soon enough that focus will shift to '09 in these parts. Some interesting prospects on the horizon.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so.
    None taken Rufty - you're actually not far off the mark. But that is something that can be corrected with some effort and hard work. Now is the time so things will be better for the next locals.

As I said to Pascal over the weekend, Cyprian Brady got only 800 votes and still got elected to the Dail! So we'll see.

Now the hard work begins.

WestOfCentre

Quote Originally Posted by Rufty
    MTQ was on Clare FM during Friday, after her elimination, accusing those in her own party of dirty tricks. Is she for real. Maddalin get over yourself. You will never be a TD for Clare again. We don't want you.

Must say I didn't see the drop in Meaney's vote coming either but from the responce at the door I knew Daly would poll well and did think (a bit optimistically maybe) that the 3 seats were on.

Pascal is still a bit of a mystery to me I must adnit but 870 votes is not a good starting base to kick of a long hault Dáil campaign over a few terms IMO. Although I could be proven wrong. Either way (and no offence intended Wolverine) I do think Labours organisation on the ground has been weak in Clare over the past 12 years or so. More members and canvassers needed there. (Don't kill me it's just an opinion of someone on the outside looking in). Pascal didn't look all too dejected at the bar though after the tally figures were in. Maybe the though of having a safe enough council seat was good concilation!

It'll be soon enough that focus will shift to '09 in these parts. Some interesting prospects on the horizon.
    Madeleine is a dreamer. I dont know she expected to be elected with 4 on the ticket.

On top of that her closest rival in terms of Geography, Breen, had kept an effecient operation going for the last few years with regular information and leaflet drops etc. He had also cosied into her base around Kilrush.

Many were also disappointed by her reaction on ClareFM. You have to take defeat on the chin.

She indulged in little stunts of her own during the last couple of days of campaigning that might land her in hot water herself yet.

FF ran a decent campaign but not amount of restructuring of the canvas areas would have resulted in an sufficient increase in 1st preference share. They required at least another 6% to pull a third seat.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What did she say exactly? I didn't get to hear her.

WestOfCentre

Alledged an internal party dirty tricks campaign but didnt expand on it. Then claimed that people who had favours done for them didnt remain loyal.

Roughly translates in totality into ...many of my activists switched to Pat Breen's camp and Im bitter about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry! When I saw the thread heading "Clare postmortem", I thought it was about the match yesterday.
    There are Men, there are Women and there are Politicians. God save old Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That one's easy. Clare GAA at worst stage in 20 years or more. Terrible management. Team had to drive to Killaloe for 9am to catch the bus, then drive back after. Ridiculous! Bad selection and tactics. No hurling being done in training, just physical work. This was obvious with the shooting in particular.

Anyway back to politics...........opinions??? Comments??? (If you wanna chat on Clare hurling please start a thread in Chat forum)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast