Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cork - ignored again by Dublin based media

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork - ignored again by Dublin based media

Watching results coming in on TV, and listening to the coverage on the radio it was shocking how much the 5 Cork constituencies were ignored.

I know CNC and CNW were very predictible from early in the day but there were big stories emerging in all the others.

Cork East:

This contest was fascinating and the last seat was impossible to call for a long time between Stanton and Sherlock. Most people believed Paul Bradford would take a seat. In the end both Stanton and Sherlock got in and Bradford lost out, it was fascininating watching this story unfold yet it hardly merited a mention in Dublin.

Cork South Central:

I believe this was the most fascinating constituency in the country and should have been a centre piece of results coverage. So many candidates so close for 3 seats anything was possible - this was better than any soap opera, eurovision or Rose of Tralee in terms of drama or difficulty in predicting the outcome. Yet until the superb TD Dan Boyle actually lost his seat it was ignored by our friends in the capital.

Cork South West:

The result was well predicted in advance but the big story here was the performance of Christy O'Sullivan FF in topping the poll at the expense of the justifibly bitter incumbent party colleague Denis O'Donovan, another big story from cork that had been ignored.

Cork North Central:

4 sitting TDs as expected took the seats but a lot of other constituencies outside Cork had a similar story but this one hardly got a mention.

Cork North West:

Result was predictable from early on but the first preference performance of M Moynihan deserved some discussion, not to mention two sitting TDs losing their seats. This was seen as a barometer yet it hardly got a mention.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. This is not an anti-Cork paranoia. RTE just didnt give coverage to Cork. I found it very odd. I found out that the counts were over in Cork SW and Cork East when something came across the bottom of the screen. It was not mentioned by the presenters. I had to go find the figures on the website. It was very strange in that they were giving massive coverage to counts in Dublin, Limerick, Galway etc while cliffhangers were going on in Cork.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This site was the exception - it gave Cork the coverage it rightly deserved but that was due to those of us on the ground trying to keep the rest of you in the picture and picking up news from each other. All the Cork stories were revealed and covered here quicker and in more depth than even our own 96FM which really tried to step up to the mark this time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Perhaps the regions need their own television stations?

Regards...jmcc
    Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc

Regards...jmcc
    Rebel TV, it even sounds good
    There are Men, there are Women and there are Politicians. God save old Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regards...jmcc
    I agree with the sentiment but the stories enfolding down here were national stories that deserved far greater attention on national radio and tv. There were some huge stories in 3 of the 5 constituencies as I outlined in my previous post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love it - "the regions" - I suppose it could of been worse and you could have said "down the country".

We don't need our own TV station not that I don't think it's a good idea - we need our national broadcaster to start thinking outside the Pale - oh wait, that's not likely to happen is it..........
    Those who think they know it all upset those of us that do.........

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do Cork people complain so much? Is it really that bad down there?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corcaigh33
    I love it - "the regions" - I suppose it could of been worse and you could have said "down the country".

We don't need our own TV station not that I don't think it's a good idea - we need our national broadcaster to start thinking outside the Pale - oh wait, that's not likely to happen is it..........
    You think it is bad with Cork? The Jackeens hardly even know Waterford (the oldest city in Ireland) exists.

Regards...jmcc
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corcaigh33

You think it is bad with Cork? The Jackeens hardly even know Waterford (the oldest city in Ireland) exists.

Regards...jmcc
    Waterford is a town, Kilkenny is a city!
    There was pleasure in paradise, but no excitement - Milan Kundera

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast