Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Times - Sinister UVF figure a key catalyst of Belfast violence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Times - Sinister UVF figure a key catalyst of Belfast violence

Gerry Moriarity of the Irish Times has penned a portrait of the UVF commander who is variously known as 'Ugly Doris' or 'the Beast from The East'

THE SO-CALLED “Beast from the East” took over the Ulster Volunteer Force in east Belfast about six years ago and has strengthened his power base since then, according to well-placed loyalist sources. He and some of his senior lieutenants are chiefly responsible for the violence in east Belfast over recent days, they say.

He makes his money mainly from “gangster-on-gangster or bad-on-bad crime”, which is chiefly about drug dealing and extorting other criminals – while also managing to maintain some distance from these activities to keep him, so far, out of prison. How to clip his wings is the challenge for the police and also for other members of the UVF.

That said, what is happening in Short Strand and on the Newtownards Road in east Belfast these past dangerous nights is not about the dissidents. It is about the UVF, which is fomenting the disturbances. And it is primarily about the UVF leader in east Belfast nicknamed the Beast from the East or “Ugly Doris”. The first nom de guerre relates to his east Belfast bailiwick and the second refers to the late Jim Gray, the UDA east Belfast leader or “brigadier” murdered by his own people. He was called Doris Day because of his blond hair and his fondness for Hawaiian shirts, pink jumpers and gold jewellery. The UVF leader is said to resemble Gray only in his strands of blond hair – hence Ugly Doris.

According to senior loyalist sources, the new man, who is in his 40s, has “lost the run of himself” and is becoming increasingly dangerous and, some fear, almost unstable. “He is creating a little empire for himself in east Belfast and is now flexing his muscles,” said one loyalist insider. “He is also partial to cocaine and likes to party . . . He believes he is untouchable.”
    Sinister UVF figure a key catalyst of Belfast violence - The Irish Times - Thu, Jun 23, 2011

Stories about the antics of 'Ugly Doris', who along with a UDA-aligned relative, was once arrested in connection with the murder of Jim Gray, feature almost every other week in the northern edition of the Sunday World - along with his real name and photograph. Even so I'd ask you be careful not to name him on this thread.
    Last edited by picador; 23rd June 2011 at 04:38 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have already named him numerous times on other threads.

Why the concern now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HET Equality View Post
    You have already named him numerous times on other threads.

Why the concern now?
    IT article does not name the deeply unpleasant character described ... therefore I won't. However if people want to dig a little that's up to them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    IT article does not name the deeply unpleasant character described ... therefore I won't. However if people want to dig a little that's up to them.
    Are you starting to get nervous because you have already named him on other threads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HET Equality View Post
    Are you starting to get nervous because you have already named him on other threads?
    Why should I - he is named in the Sunday World every other week along with a photo of him living up to his nickname.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is what I miss about the American press. They would just name him and publish his photo on the front page. None of this nom de guerre or nickname BS. All the major gangsters in America were always named and shamed and effectively became household names. Everyone knew the heads of the five families though very few of them had convictions. There is no need to be coy. I can't see any UVF thug making a case for dismissal on the grounds of prejudicial coverage on a website in the Republic of Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    This is what I miss about the American press. They would just name him and publish his photo on the front page. None of this nom de guerre or nickname BS. All the major gangsters in America were always named and shamed and effectively became household names. Everyone knew the heads of the five families though very few of them had convictions. There is no need to be coy. I can't see any UVF thug making a case for dismissal on the grounds of prejudicial coverage on a website in the Republic of Ireland
    Do you know his name?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder who he is? Ugly Doris is some nickname mind you!
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, it's NOT this guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's like a game of whodunnit here. lol

BTW, anyone else removed from the short strand thread by over zealous mods?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast