Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rent supplement for landlords, yes or no

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    What is the alternative? When the State had the money it didn't invest in a massive social housing building scheme. So if there were to be no rent allowances then exactly where would those who cannot afford to pay their rent from their social welfare live? We do have 450,000 unemployed but of course not all get rent allowance although I would say at least half would *just a guess*
    Not true, we owned all the lands under NAMA. There are countless of buildings that can be used as estates for council housing instead of knocking it down all over Ireland. Some have been completed and its worth moving them to the NAMA houses. Better use of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RA is a crazy expensive system in this country, and traps people in the social welfare pit, shared housing or a time limit would to be have introduced , its a broken system with good intentions but in our current state it can work

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Department of Environment, Community and Local Government has established a new leasing initiative for the delivery of social housing.

This new initiative represents an expansion of the options available to local authorities for the delivery of social housing. Properties will be leased from the private sector and used to accommodate households from local authority waiting lists. Leased properties will be allocated to tenants, in accordance with the local authorities allocations schemes.

Leasing Arrangments - Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government

I feel they should be buying them on HP from NAMA at knock down prices as soon more and more families will be homeless after more austerity and interest hikes force mortgage holders to default.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    The Department of Environment, Community and Local Government has established a new leasing initiative for the delivery of social housing.

This new initiative represents an expansion of the options available to local authorities for the delivery of social housing. Properties will be leased from the private sector and used to accommodate households from local authority waiting lists. Leased properties will be allocated to tenants, in accordance with the local authorities allocations schemes.

Leasing Arrangments - Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government

I feel they should be buying them on HP from NAMA at knock down prices as soon more and more families will be homeless after more austerity and interest hikes force mortgage holders to default.
    My mate just rented a few gaffs to Waterford CoCo. You get €550 a month for a 2-bed in a small town outside the city. They're contracted to maintain them for the next 20 years too.

The only trouble from a landlord's perspective, is getting them out once the 20 years is up. Still, it's handy money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muffin View Post
    Not true, we owned all the lands under NAMA. There are countless of buildings that can be used as estates for council housing instead of knocking it down all over Ireland. Some have been completed and its worth moving them to the NAMA houses. Better use of money.
    Yes, I agree, I have argued for this to be done before. But if I'm not mistaken there are only about 33,000 units (houses/apts) available through NAMA. That still leaves a huge shortfall though as we have 450,000 people unemployed.
    We already have fuel poverty, do we want water poverty too? No thanks. Not registering, not paying.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WellNow View Post
    My mate just rented a few gaffs to Waterford CoCo. You get €550 a month for a 2-bed in a small town outside the city. They're contracted to maintain them for the next 20 years too.

The only trouble from a landlord's perspective, is getting them out once the 20 years is up. Still, it's handy money.
    Ah, the privatised BTL Corpo.

As predicted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    And of course the recipients never abuse the system, aye?
    Mossy think you mis-understood, of course the recipients abuse the system, but theres numerous threads under the heading welfare cheats, the point I was asking is about the landlords who get paid this welfare supplement for properties they refuse to register cause they'd be liable for tax, but still they get paid.
    YOU ALONE CAN DO IT, BUT YOU CAN'T DO IT ALONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nano Nagle View Post
    Rent supplement is nothing but a subsidy for landlords which keeps rents artifically high. Every bloody Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael politician must be in receipt of these subsidies.
    And if not them personally, then its their cousins, uncles. And i'm sick of it to, FG talk a good fight, lets see how manys rounds they do
    YOU ALONE CAN DO IT, BUT YOU CAN'T DO IT ALONE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234