Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rent supplement for landlords, yes or no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Landlords are like farmers and the small time self employed....not on the revenue's radar. If your honest, the revenue may well do a job on you, otherwise happy days.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    Landlords are like farmers and the small time self employed....not on the revenue's radar. If your honest, the revenue may well do a job on you, otherwise happy days.
    I dunno about that.

Revenue have been told in no uncertain terms that rates of collection have to be increased asap.
    They're coming under a lot more pressure to collect more and to collect from more.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just get a move on and stop paying state money to landlords who aren't meeting their obligations. There has been endless talk about enforcement and nothing has happened. Just once I'd like to see the State acting and not talking.

The rates are also crazy of course, rent allowance is propping up the private rental market. People who are working are having to share houses to afford the rent while those on social welfare are occupying apartments on their own paid by rent allowance - it's nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rent supplement is nothing but a subsidy for landlords which keeps rents artifically high. Every bloody Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael politician must be in receipt of these subsidies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nano Nagle View Post
    Rent supplement is nothing but a subsidy for landlords which keeps rents artifically high. Every bloody Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael politician must be in receipt of these subsidies.
    +1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladel View Post
    +1
    True. Would be easier to count thoses who are not collecting rather than those who are.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    And of course the recipients never abuse the system, aye?
    rent allowance goes direct to the landlord, brains

it props up rental prices, ensuring that a high portion of the nation's spending goes to non-productive sectors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any unregistered landlords I know of rent their places out at reduced prices. Their tenants seem to have no issue with it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red-devil View Post
    7000 landlords have failed to register their property, the people who are entitled to this supplement pay the landlords this money monthly, money thats giving through the labour from our taxes.The highest amount been close to 1100 euro. These landlords have still not registered their property after been regularly asked, and the reason why they haven't done this is to avoid the tax they'd have to pay. Why these landlords are still been pay'd this money is just an abuse of the system. This goverment really has to take the finger out and stop all this white collar crime, cause I see no difference in the guy who defrauds the dole to this blatant abuse of the system. I'm sure there's geniune landlords who have registered who'd only love this extra buisness.
    That is not fair on those who are genuine landlords. Secondly, is it against the law if they are not registered?

I dont think its the landlords that are the problem. It is the management of the governmental bodies that is the problem. Arent they suppose to enforce the law and ensure that the law is followed? If they havent replied and payed in a week, then its fines or jail. Simple.

Its like welfare was given to 2,000 prisoners in the prisons and yet they were happy to do that. This is laziness on their end in the offices as I cant get over how prisoners got welfare. Its just incredible stuff.

It would be the management of the governmental departments that should be tightening up to enforce the law. Not the people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Rent allowance is a scam, just another way of siphoning the taxpayers money into the pockets of the connected and enforcing artificially-inflated prices by creating an artificial minimum for residential rents.
    What is the alternative? When the State had the money it didn't invest in a massive social housing building scheme. So if there were to be no rent allowances then exactly where would those who cannot afford to pay their rent from their social welfare live? We do have 450,000 unemployed but of course not all get rent allowance although I would say at least half would *just a guess*
    We already have fuel poverty, do we want water poverty too? No thanks. Not registering, not paying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast