Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What public sector reform?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What public sector reform?

An interview in yesterday’s Irish Times quotes Brendan Howlin as saying
    Private sector consultants to drive public service reform - The Irish Times - Sat, Jun 18, 2011
    “We are going to recruit external consultants from the private sector who have driven reform. Conceptually we know what to do but I don’t believe we have the capacity within the public service to bring that from concept to reality.

“And we are going to do that by bringing in external help of change-makers who have carried out change in significant corporations externally.”
    But what’s the actual nature of the planned reform? Is the problem not, substantially, the way politics goes on?

For example, take the recent story of Wexford Hospital. First, its not in the HSE capital programme.
    Howlin vows hospital will get extensions - News, frontpage - Wexfordpeople.ie

Then, seemingly, Brendan Howlin intervenes, and suddenly its getting extensions worth €20 million at a time when public funds are scarce, and borrowed at an unaffordable interest rate.
    Wexford Echo: Howlin fights for hospital
    HOSPITAL FUTURE SECURE AS HOWLIN INJECTS €20 MILLION - News, frontpage - Goreyguardian.ie

One, but only one, of the problems that got us here was a supine public service that simply implemented whatever half-assed decisions came out of the political process, like decentralisation, regardless of cost.

What is Howlin seeking these external consultants to deliver? Is the objective to have a public service that won’t be as supine in the face of the kind of gombeenery that he seems to engage in himself?

I’ve no particular gripe with Howlin, let me say. I just think the sight of our Minister for ‘Reform’ engaging in the usual paddywackery over a county hospital paints more than a thousand words.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it's any of the usual suspect consultants, all you can expect is they will bury themselves deep where it pays good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    An interview in yesterday’s Irish Times quotes Brendan Howlin as saying But what’s the actual nature of the planned reform? Is the problem not, substantially, the way politics goes on?

For example, take the recent story of Wexford Hospital. First, its not in the HSE capital programme.

Then, seemingly, Brendan Howlin intervenes, and suddenly its getting extensions worth €20 million at a time when public funds are scarce, and borrowed at an unaffordable interest rate.
    HOSPITAL FUTURE SECURE AS HOWLIN INJECTS €20 MILLION - News, frontpage - Goreyguardian.ie

One, but only one, of the problems that got us here was a supine public service that simply implemented whatever half-assed decisions came out of the political process, like decentralisation, regardless of cost.

What is Howlin seeking these external consultants to deliver? Is the objective to have a public service that won’t be as supine in the face of the kind of gombeenery that he seems to engage in himself?

I’ve no particular gripe with Howlin, let me say. I just think the sight of our Minister for ‘Reform’ engaging in the usual paddywackery over a county hospital paints more than a thousand words.
    Excellent post. Don't forget Gilmore is saying he will fight to the death for A&E in Loughlinstown.
    If the right of return is short hand for destroying the Israeli state than so be it- if to be for justice is to be anti-Semitic than anti-Semitism is a good thing p.ie in 2019.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Excellent post. Don't forget Gilmore is saying he will fight to the death for A&E in Loughlinstown.
    Did he tell the American ambassador that - fight to the death.

See, Sligo needed a Labour TD - John Perry should resign.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody knows.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An interview in yesterday’s Irish Times quotes Brendan Howlin as saying But what’s the actual nature of the planned reform? Is the problem not, substantially, the way politics goes on?

How did it go in the end?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Howlin as Minister for Public Sector Reform.
    Patrick Neary as Financial Regulator.
    Michael Lowry once boasting about how he was going to tackle FG corruption.
    US Foreign Policy, the CIA run School of the Americas, and statements about democracy.
    EU "bailouts" for Greece, Ireland and Spain.
    Donkeylaffs, Suds etc.. advocating austerity in the public realm, cuts to social benefits, and more taxes on the plebs, to benefit the plutocrats, thieves and gamblers.

It seems that Orwellian constructs have become the norm, rather than the exception.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I understand it now he meant the IMF and ECB.
    Only the Taoiseach needed an extra consultant, costing 130,000€/year.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do not wonder, Minister Howlin is from Wexford. That is way everything went as it went.
    He has seen the trick done by Minister Reilly.

My take on it is that Howlin is getting serious about cuts... bad news for regional and rural Ireland.
    When they bring in someone from outside the country or outside the circle of insiders... these outside consultants are beholden to no one... they just do the cuts and that's that.
    Stories about fighting for devil--eire or the workers get short shrift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast