Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Brennan interviews Noonan on Bloomberg 16-06-11

Talking Margaret Brennan interviews Noonan on Bloomberg 16-06-11

Margaret Brennan interviews Noonan on Bloomberg 16-06-11
    June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Irish Finance Minister Michael Noonan talks about concerns that the country may be engulfed by the Greek debt crisis. Noonan, speaking on Bloomberg Television's "InBusiness With Margaret Brennan," also discusses Ireland's economic outlook and the government's commitment to repaying senior bank bondholders.

“We have a very strong mandate and we have the support on issues from the opposition,” Noonan said of Ireland’s coalition government. “Greece is entirely different. There seems to be no cross-party support
    Noonan said the “last red cent” of debt owed by the government and Ireland’s so-called “pillar banks” will be repaid. The government has said it won’t impose losses on the senior bondholders of those lenders, Bank of Ireland Plc and Allied Irish Banks Plc.
    Noonan Concerned Ireland May Be Engulfed by Greek Crisis - Bloomberg

Video here .... 8.40 minutes
    Ireland's Noonan Interview on Banks, Greek Crisis - Video - Bloomberg

Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    Margaret Brennan interviews Noonan on Bloomberg 16-06-11
    June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Irish Finance Minister Michael Noonan talks about concerns that the country may be engulfed by the Greek debt crisis. Noonan, speaking on Bloomberg Television's "InBusiness With Margaret Brennan," also discusses Ireland's economic outlook and the government's commitment to repaying senior bank bondholders.

Noonan Concerned Ireland May Be Engulfed by Greek Crisis - Bloomberg

Video here .... 8.40 minutes
    Ireland's Noonan Interview on Banks, Greek Crisis - Video - Bloomberg
    Dear lord, that was embarrassing. Its a sad state of affairs that a Bloomsberg anchor can completely outclass our Minister of Finance. He simply could not grasp the concept of debt default contagion as per Lehman's and thinks that the issue with Greece is merely the size of the majority in parliament. You could sense the panic in him when she said "Credit Default Swaps", and he completely avoided that issue in answering the question.

No wonder our bond yields soared after that interview after that buffoon's pretense of knowledge.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

I thought he did very well. He was calm and made the main points clearly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    I thought he did very well. He was calm and made the main points clearly.
    +1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+2

seemed very calm and collected to me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dear god your a tool. He did very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Dear lord, that was embarrassing. Its a sad state of affairs that a Bloomsberg anchor can completely outclass our Minister of Finance. He simply could not grasp the concept of debt default contagion as per Lehman's and thinks that the issue with Greece is merely the size of the majority in parliament. You could sense the panic in him when she said "Credit Default Swaps", and he completely avoided that issue in answering the question.

No wonder our bond yields soared after that interview after that buffoon's pretense of knowledge.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Westlands View Post
    Dear god your a tool. He did very well.
    +4.

I thought that Noonan came across well.
    He was assured and calm and he told it like it is.
    We're not Greece.

Barly Shaker

He did well enough, and while I understand where Cass. is coming from. I believe that he was distancing us from Greece, as much as he could.

While we are not Greece, we are not much better. Greece has 4 death sentences on its head, we have one, it may not be carried out but Greece is getting all itchy in the cell and may bring us down as well. God damn addiction to metaphors.

What I want to say, is that we are in an awful financial position after the gombeenism of 90 years, at its worst in the last 13 years, with the treacherous Brians and Bertie show FF/PD show.

We are still going to default, there can be no doubt about that. Greece will default this year, and we will have to do the same. Look at our 2 yr bonds people, at 12.5%, up from 4 at Christmas. Greece is being offered borrowing at 40% interest for 30 yr debt. The show is over re default, it is going to happen, the only question now is whether the Euro survives and if so, is it left a weak currency, will countries like ourselves be forced out as part of a deal. Given the kick the can approach of the last few years, has the crisis now grown to such a degree that it cannot be contained, will it push the globe back in to a recession.

If you hear the words Double Dip recession, then all bets are off folks and we are probably looking at resuming the slide in to a global depression, all the bullets will have been fired. That is unfortunately a widely held view

Barly Shaker

He did well enough, and while I understand where Cass. is coming from. I believe that he was distancing us from Greece, as much as he could.

While we are not Greece, we are not much better. Greece has 4 death sentences on its head, we have one, it may not be carried out but Greece is getting all itchy in the cell and may bring us down as well. God damn addiction to metaphors.

What I want to say, is that we are in an awful financial position after the gombeenism of 90 years, at its worst in the last 13 years, with the treacherous Brians and Bertie show FF/PD show.

We are still going to default, there can be no doubt about that. Greece will default this year, and we will have to do the same. Look at our 2 yr bonds people, at 12.5%, up from 4 at Christmas. Greece is being offered borrowing at 40% interest for 30 yr debt. The show is over re default, it is going to happen, the only question now is whether the Euro survives and if so, is it left a weak currency, will countries like ourselves be forced out as part of a deal. Given the kick the can approach of the last few years, has the crisis now grown to such a degree that it cannot be contained, will it push the globe back in to a recession.

If you hear the words Double Dip recession, then all bets are off folks and we are probably looking at resuming the slide in to a global depression, all the bullets will have been fired. That is unfortunately a widely held view

Politics.ie Member irishpancake's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are not Greece, just as we were not Iceland....

We are between a Rock and a Hard Place......

But Noonan did do rather well, IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast