Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn Fein hurt by Adams TV debate performance?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Fein hurt by Adams TV debate performance?

cant have helped

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or the Six-One interview where he blithely acknowledged that they wanted to spend 5 billion euro buying back Aer Lingus, Irish Ferries and Eircom. Dobson asks where that would come from, response "we have the money"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

His performance accross the board was terrible, no grasp of what the south is all about, and that its a much more sophisticated constituency than Norn Irn.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most definately- it was abject. I often wonder if it is as simple as Sinn Fein no longer really relevant in the 26 counties. By this i mean, given that the 'peace process' is bedded down- a vote for sinn fein no longer is a vote encouraging the ending of their 'war'. As for their policies? Walter Mitty stuff. It seems the stakeholders of middle ireland came out and voted for the status quo.

Just my hunch...?
    'I am Serious, and don't call me Surely...'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i believe so as he came across very poorly on the topics that matter down here and clearly had no grasp of economic's, kept harping back to his strengths re the north......
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was Dire - but he's the best they have got!

Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli
    His performance accross the board was terrible, no grasp of what the south is all about, and that its a much more sophisticated constituency than Norn Irn.
    The South of Ireland or North are not a constituencies and if you think that there is anything sophisticated about the Irish electorate you are sadly mistaken, they have been bought off by auction politics pure and simple.

Adams was not good in the debate but anybody voting Sinn Fein was voting for more equality better health system etc. not on how an individual can manipulate numbers on TV as Cowen, McDowell etc. are more than able to do. So probably no votes were lost because of TV appearance.

Sean Crowe lost his seat because of his natioanl and global focus which doesn't go down to well with the Irish electorate who would rather you worked at getting their council house windows replaced.

Dick Roche on the other hand...what a joke...Minister for the Environment spending all his time doing favours for friends and his chosen constituents and ************************ all about his job.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even though Adams talked too much about the North, I think they actually missed an opportunity to exploit the all-Ireland dimension.

If they had taken the Enterprise portfolio at Stormont instead of education, and moved on the corporation tax issue earlier, they could have benefitted from the growing support for an all-Ireland economy in the northern business sector, giving them more economic credibility.

Maybe that would have been a stretch ideologically, but they did move on corporation tax in the end, anyway.

Also, they should have put up a TD for the TV debate. If you're talking about being in Government you should be putting forward your potential Ministers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sinn Fein vote up 0.2%. Despite the big parties squeezing the PDs, the Greens and Labour, SF's vote has increased.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and so far -1 TD, your point ?
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast