Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Language Act. Tá bron orm

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Language Act. Tá bron orm

Sorry to post here as bearla but have not got good enough Irish.

As many of you may or may not know that with the St Andrews Agreement there was provision for an Irish language act in the 6 counties. HOWEVER the Loyalist/Unionist people have decided to try and scupper this as they do not want Irish to grow.

As a result of the Loyalist/Unionist people organising through the Orange Order there has been quite a large anti-Irish campaign got going to stop the Act. I am asking that any of you who live in the 6 counties or know some one who does pm me as I have draft letters here which can be altered slightly and can be emailed to the relevant person in order to promote Irish.

Tá born orm arís for the use of béarla here, tá beagán gaeilge agus Go raibh maith agat in advance. ( I may not have good Irish but am having my kids schooled in Irish medium education and I do what ever I can to promote my language).

Raff
    The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
    Socrates

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maith thú Raff. Go n-éirí go geal leatsa leis agus tá súil agam go seasfaidh na hUltaigh eile leatsa

Good man Raff, best of luck, i hope the rest of the Ulstermen stand with you

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish Language Act. Tá bron orm

Quote Originally Posted by raff
    Sorry to post here as bearla but have not got good enough Irish.

As many of you may or may not know that with the St Andrews Agreement there was provision for an Irish language act in the 6 counties. HOWEVER the Loyalist/Unionist people have decided to try and scupper this as they do not want Irish to grow.

As a result of the Loyalist/Unionist people organising through the Orange Order there has been quite a large anti-Irish campaign got going to stop the Act. I am asking that any of you who live in the 6 counties or know some one who does pm me as I have draft letters here which can be altered slightly and can be emailed to the relevant person in order to promote Irish.

Tá born orm arís for the use of béarla here, tá beagán gaeilge agus Go raibh maith agat in advance. ( I may not have good Irish but am having my kids schooled in Irish medium education and I do what ever I can to promote my language).

Raff
    Fair Play dhuit, a Raff, is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla cliste

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For some reason Cael your posts are appearing hidden to me!! Thanks for the support all and please tell as many as you can.
    The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
    Socrates

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fáilte ar ais Cael. Good to see you are back after your sabbatical!!!

And let me add...

bon retour chez toi.

Feliz regreso

and in ulster scots - welcome back !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Socrates

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I gcead duit, a raiff, agus nílim ag ceasacht ort, ach tá sé níos tabhachtaí go labharfása an Ghaeilge, agus daoine mar leat, ná Acht rialtais ab chuma ann nó as ag an daoine

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is fearr leis an rialtas béalghrá is maisiúcháin a dhéanamh don teanga in áit rud ar bith tathagach taithneascach.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach
    Is fearr leis an rialtas béalghrá is maisiúcháin a dhéanamh don teanga in áit rud ar bith tathagach taithneascach.
    Labhrann daoine teanga agus ní thuig le rialtas teanga a chur i mbéal an phobail ina nainneoin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nílim deimhneach de an bhfuilir ag teacht salach ar a ndúirt mé nó ar aon tuairim leis.

Ní ceart do rialtas ar bith sairsingiú ar dhuine teanga a labhairt nuair nach mian leis, ach ba chóir dóibh ag an am céanna é a éascú don té ar mian leis, is spreagadh dóibh siúd a bhfuil gaeilge ar a dtoil acu cheana féin, leanúint orthu á labhairt, is a toirbhirt ar an nglúin a leanann iad.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish Language Act in the Republic has only been active since 2003. So - Give it time in NI.

I am sure that the act will happen in NI.

That said, the Irish Language is not been actively pushed in local government. Has anybody gone into a public office using the language?

What are your experiences?

The act does allow people to conduct business in Irish. Fair play to O Cuiv bringing it in. It was about time.
    When i think of the people who vote for SF/IRA, i think of Germany in 1933.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast