Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Politics.ie

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Welcome to Politics.ie

Politics.ie changes from today. No longer are we going to manually add the stories from the various political sources each day, we're going to start linking to them elsewhere online. What we're also going to do is use this section of the site, The Wire, as the main 'Features' section of Politics.ie.

Welcome to the new Politics.ie

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What will the Features section be comprised of ?

Can it be used by the general membership to post items of interest ?

David, I think you will have to explain to some people how this feature works.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Righto,

Basically, The Wire will power the news that appears on the homepage of Politics.ie. It will be edited and maintained primarily by myself, and I hope to enlist the support of the content teamsters to set content as well.

If a discussion we think is *really* interesting gets going, it'll be moved to 'The Wire' in the hope it will get more coverage and contributions.

What The Wire will also serve as is the Editorial section of the site, where myself and other selected contributors can select articles either elsewhere online, or on the discussion boards, that warrant more attention that normal.

User of the site will not be able to start threads in The Wire, but they are free to reply as with other discussions.

How's that?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is great. I think ambitious posters will be more likely to try and make their threads "Wire-worthy"...

For instance, I can't see that we would stick a thread up on the Wire if the spelling and grammar were poor, and obviously the premise and invitation to discuss would have to be sensible, well written and interesting.

I think this is a good move that will hopefully "raise the bar" for contributions.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thing about 'Wire' threads is that it's the first contribution that'll kick start things.

We'll be introducing a 'karma' system in the next few months to allow users to earn ratings based on their contributions. Clearly this kind of thing would enhance their ratings.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I preferred the old forum format, when the most recent post was bumped up to the top, on the news front page. It was a lot quicker. Now I have to enter the forum, search for a category, find a topic, then try and find an ongoing debate. it's more time consuming.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Top left of each forum page is a link called 'Latest' which gives you an extensive list of ongoing discussions.

Seriously guys, alot of people have IMed me this morning about it.

Just look, it's there!!!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane
    We'll be introducing a 'karma' system in the next few months to allow users to earn ratings based on their contributions. Clearly this kind of thing would enhance their ratings.
    Be careful with this - I can see a "karma war" starting between certain people!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'll take a bit of getting used to, and I think it should raise the standard. Re time consuming - using the psts since your last visit button can help here. Maybe that feature could be put onto the home page?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast