Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael on a United Ireland!!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael on a United Ireland!!!

Where do Fine Gael stand on achieving a 32 county Irish Republic??

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They, like all Irish political parties, are (supposedly) for it.

Pretty confident that the United Ireland party, is for a united Ireland.
    "Are you telling me that a computer, a robot and my wife would create a "natuarlly balanced" society? The consequences are too monstrous to contemplate.."
    -farnaby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The "United Ireland party" that gave us John Bruton, Brian Hayes and Gay Mitchell being for a United Ireland, you must be joking.
    Those who think they know it all upset those of us that do.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If FG are for unity by consent which other parties policy on the issue are they at variance with?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corcaigh33
    The "United Ireland party" that gave us John Bruton, Brian Hayes and Gay Mitchell being for a United Ireland, you must be joking.
    You're a FF'er aren't you?
    Can you give me one thing that Dev, Lemass, Lynch, Haughey, Reynolds or Ahern did to secure a UI?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FG is the United Ireland party. I'm a United Irelander. What some of the ignorant people posting here don't realise is that unionist people are Irish people too and the best way to achieve a United Ireland is by observing their rights, respecting their heritage and not blowing them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they stated officially that they were against a united Ireland I wouldn't have anything more to do with them., but I dont have to worry about it because thas wont happen.

Some northerenrs think Fine Gael by their actions(or lack of) are a partitionist party who couldnt care a fig about the north. Its true that many in the south, not just FG get involved in local issues and forget about the north- the easy option. Personally in retrospect the saddest part of the whole thing, being a southerener, was the inaction or inability to do anything from 1922-1985. We were totally excluded, and we played the Realpolitik game because we had to. Taking over the north militarily was just not an option, and many would fear the economic consequences. Yet a really wicked apartheit state existed up there. What to do? Well we werent in power much but there is no doubt that we were inspired by Michael Collins and the principals of consent, which most parties now follow.
    Whatever form of free government we had, it would be the Government of the Irish Nation. All the other elements, old Unionists, Home Rulers, Devolutionists, would have to be allowed freedom and self- expression. The only way to build the nation solid and Irish is to effect these elements in a friendly national way---by attraction, not by compulsion, making them feel themselves welcomed into the Irish Nation, in which they can join and become absorbed, as long ago the Geraldines and the de Burgos became absorbed. (Path to Freedom)

I believe this inspired Garrett Fitzgerald's attitude(the son of a catholic and a northern protestant who both fought in the GPO in 1916). I see many others have followed in Collins's footsteps. It seems that they are the inevitable footsteps and it pleases me that Fine Gael were the first towards this realisation.

Earlier during those dark days of the 1950s,it was a Fine Gael led govt that chose to recognise the northern people by appointing republican Liam Kelly to Seanad. This is at a time when our people up there where practically forgotton, without hope. I also think that the enemies of FG have tried to make political capital out of our position by twisting it in a way so that it seems west brit- we are in league with the foreigner. I think that is without substance, extremely disingenuous and ultimately machievellian.
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat
    Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.
    Eh..yes we would.

Are you(and Corcaigh) one of these FF hacks who believes that all Fine Gael members are "crypto-unionist self-loathing unpatriotic west-brits" simply because your daddy told you so?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast