Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Stokes get 2 years for Damaging door... (?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Paul Stokes get 2 years for Damaging door... (?)

I just read this on RTEs' website:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0522/stokesp.html

Paul Stokes gets two years for what amounts to criminal damage to the tune of E14,000.

Does that not seem excessive? Though the last year is suspended, I have seen rapists, drug dealers and muggers get about the same (or less) for causing much more public distress. Given that Stokes has been in the Central Mental hospitol between the incident and now, how can locking him up bee seen as anything other that punushing a mentally ill man? I see no mention in the article that his mental condition will be taken into account so he can spend the year in Hospital.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

I think the way he was practically stalking Pat Kenny influenced the decision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The media outlets are reprting it was for criminal damage & reckless endangerment.

He propelled several thousand kilos of metal & plastic at high speed into an occupied building ? ... Pretty much the same thing as a driveby shooting.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureLabourLeader
    I think the way he was practically stalking Pat Kenny influenced the decision
    Would it be overly flippant for me to say that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy? (Kenny I mean )

Probably...

Sentance seems unfair considering the psychiatric issues involved. It's not like he hurt anyone - (do doors count as people under the law ), all he did was make Kenny uncomfortable. Some people would give the man a medal...
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't belive you could actually defend this guy. Even if you don't like Pat Kenny that does not give you the right to harm him. He could have killed people. The door isn't the issue its was a public place where innocnet people could have been hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I defend the guy because he was obviously one farthing short of a shilling. He had been the subject of complaints before and they should have been acted upon. Had the man been dealt with properly by psychiatric professionals it would have been less likely to happen.

I admit I'm being flippant re Kenny. I don't agree with what the man did and yes people could have gotten hurt. My point is that nobody actually was. And you have to take into account the man had issues in order to do it in the first place - people like that need to be helped, not locked up. Man isn't a criminal, he's an ill person who needs expert treatment.
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, he's definitely someone who needs to be out of circulation for a while. He should be getting psychiatric / psychological help though!

If he's just in for 2 years with no rehabilitation he'll just come out and do it again, or worse!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trekkypj
    I defend the guy because he was obviously one farthing short of a shilling. He had been the subject of complaints before and they should have been acted upon. Had the man been dealt with properly by psychiatric professionals it would have been less likely to happen.

I admit I'm being flippant re Kenny. I don't agree with what the man did and yes people could have gotten hurt. My point is that nobody actually was. And you have to take into account the man had issues in order to do it in the first place - people like that need to be helped, not locked up. Man isn't a criminal, he's an ill person who needs expert treatment.
    By your logic he should already have been apprehended by either the police or by psychiatric helpers in the first place. What would you be saying if he had been apprehended originally for a far less dangerous action?

Also, you said that it's not like he injured anyone. Should we take no action against people who attempted murder but their bullet missed? After all, it's not like they hurt anyone.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh loony people have some free will, he's not legally loony so this implies he knew right from wrong.

yes people could have gotten hurt. My point is that nobody actually wast.
    Come again ?
    So dangerous driving isn't a crime, only dangerous driving causing harm ?

Outcome based justice ?

So I farted yesterday and a dude died in a downpour in Bangladesh because of it: I should be jailed ?

Dude there's cheaper ways to get to Austrailia.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Meh loony people have some free will, he's not legally loony so this implies he knew right from wrong.
    Thats beside the point. He still should have at least been put on some sort of treatment.

yes people could have gotten hurt. My point is that nobody actually was.
    Come again ?
    So dangerous driving isn't a crime, only dangerous driving causing harm ?

Outcome based justice ?
    Isn't that what is happening now? He drove dangerously so he gets jailed.

There are mitigating circumstances and I don't think the result reflects this.

Firstly, you have to show that he put people in reasonable fear of immediate harm. Fair enough he probably did. But mental illness can be a partial or full defence against the crime, depending on whether he was suffering from a recognised medical condition.

I never said he wasn't guilty, only that his mental state should be taken into account, as well as the fact that the threatened outcome did not in fact happen. Attempted is not as serious as actual, if only because of the outcome.

So I farted yesterday and a dude died in a downpour in Bangladesh because of it: I should be jailed ?
    I honestly don't know what to make of this.

Dude there's cheaper ways to get to Austrailia.

cYp
    I respect your opinion but I disagree with you. Lets not make this a I'm right you're wrong thing - lets just agree to differ mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast