Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Munster Planation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Munster Planation

Article here on the Munster Planation and the MacCarthy clans in 1580s and 90s.

The Munster Plantation and the MacCarthys, 1583-1597 | The Irish Story

And on their twists and turns, playing both sides in the Nine Years War,

http://www.theirishstory.com/2011/04...ter-1595-1603/
    Last edited by JohnD66; 13th April 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Politics.ie Member Portadown madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the time my ancestors came over and settled in Ireland. they did not last long in Munster and buggerd off to County Wexford.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Portadown madman View Post
    This is the time my ancestors came over and settled in Ireland. they did not last long in Munster and buggerd off to County Wexford.
    Yeah times were tough for settlers in the early years of the plantation. There was a lot of violence between the English troops asigned to the undertakers and the armed retainers of the Irish lords.

And duringthe Nine Years War, most of the planters were chased off altogether for about three years. George Carew, the provincial president had to painstakingly re-establish the plantation afterwards.

Wexford would have been a more peaceful spot until 1641, when it was one of the centres of the rebellion. Any info on how your ancestors got on at that time? Maybe from the despositions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    Yeah times were tough for settlers in the early years of the plantation. There was a lot of violence between the English troops asigned to the undertakers and the armed retainers of the Irish lords.

And duringthe Nine Years War, most of the planters were chased off altogether for about three years. George Carew, the provincial president had to painstakingly re-establish the plantation afterwards.

Wexford would have been a more peaceful spot until 1641, when it was one of the centres of the rebellion. Any info on how your ancestors got on at that time? Maybe from the despositions?
    Hi, John.

From what i can gather my ancestors got on just fine in Wexford, some of my family still live in the area.

One of my Ancestors was a CoI clergyman who had some sort of power within the area, as you would know, Anglican clergyman in that era were seen as representatives of the British goverment.

It was only after the south got it's independance that the hard facts came to face..hence the migration of many southern protestants. including some of mine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi, John.

From what i can gather my ancestors got on just fine in Wexford, some of my family still live in the area.

One of my Ancestors was a CoI clergyman who had some sort of power within the area, as you would know, Anglican clergyman in that era were seen as representatives of the British goverment.

It was only after the south got it's independance that the hard facts came to face..hence the migration of many southern protestants. including some of mine.
    Yeah, well they were paid by a compulsory tithe on all the population, collected if necessary by armed troops, so they were going to be unpopular with those not of the established church at times. But I digress.

I suspect that if your ancestors were in Wexford in and around 1641 they would have had to take refuge in somewhere like Youghal or Duncannon. In Wexford town itself there was a pretty nasty incident where Protestant refugees were sent to sea in leaking boats and drowned.

An interesting thing about the Munster plantation though is that by 1641, quite a few of the planters' children had converted to Catholicism and sided with the Catholic Confederates. So it wasn't necessarily a case of planter=protestant and native= catholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't phuck with the Eóghanachta, because the Eóghanachta will phuck with you

Seasam go teann, go Daingean!!
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    I suspect that if your ancestors were in Wexford in and around 1641 they would have had to take refuge in somewhere like Youghal or Duncannon.
    I honestly don't know if they did or not. i was born in the 1960's not 1640's.
    so i cannot answer the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    You don't phuck with the Eóghanachta, because the Eóghanachta will phuck with you

sorry, but i don't understand the foreign language you are typing in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly don't know if they did or not. i was born in the 1960's not 1640's.
    so i cannot answer the question.
    I think JohnD is suggesting if you have an interest in any report of your ancestors during that period you should explore the 1641 Depositions available online at 1641 Depositions

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

Dál gCais got away with it!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast