Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cricket

First of all, are there any cricket fans on here and if so from which clubs?

I was just wondering also what are the attitudes of the main parties as regards sports funding in general and more specifically to cricket?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to play cricket and still follow it, it was great watching the World Cup with Ireland doing so well!

I was a player of modest talent and played for my home town club, strictly small time.

Funding for cricket will be a lot easier to get after the Irish performance at the WC, but still won't match what other 'bigger' sports get. But a little is still good.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it was great to see them qualify. I was at a couple of the games during the qualifying - one at Stormont and one in Comber. The boys did superbly and should now be allowed to play test matches against Bangla and Zimbabwe.

I think cricket should be held up as an example to other sports because all communities play it - I even played against a Chinese player when my school went down to Dublin. The government should be supporting Ireland in preparing for test status in the years to come without a doubt.

The standard of cricket in Leinster seems to be far higher than up here in the NCU or the North West, maybe because of the magnet that is Dublin.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Test status won't happen without a professional domestic set up, so that's no time possibility in the near future.

I played a little when I was at UCC and also as a kid, I spent three years in school in England where I played. It's very time consuming, so it requires too much dedication when you're in full time employment.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, the ICC do put a lot of criteria up for test status. However, Ireland satisfy the most important of all that the previous 3 entrants to test cricket did not, merit on the field!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm a Buddy Holly fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I play for UCC, its a really enjoyable game to play. Beats that hell out of GAA sports anyway and I'd played Football for ten years before I came to college.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh and I'm not one of those new bandwagon people, I played before the world cup.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I play at North Down.

I think we are the only team from NI who can challenge the top Leinster sides.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast