Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryanair's cabin baggage policy.

Default Ryanair's cabin baggage policy.

This morning my wife and 8 year old daughter flew to Gatwick with ryanair to visit relations. A much anticipated trip for both of them. Due to previous experience of flying with ryanair, we checked and double checked the weight and dimensions of the pieces of handluggage. Both we're comfortably within spec. 10kg and 55x40x20 cm. Despite all this the departure gate attendant refused to allow one piece on the plane as hand luggage. They implied any resistance would jeopardise their chances of going on the plane.
    The bag had to be checked in at the cost of 30 euro. This is clearly a bullying tactic forcing a woman travelling with a young child to cough up rather than risk upsetting the child. Let there be no doubt the bag was within spec and in fact has been on a ryanair flight as hand luggage in the past.
    Travelling with this shower is becoming a deeply unpleasant nessecity.

Rant over!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And people want O'Leary in a cabinet of experts to run the country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just do not fly with them. Their claim of cheap fares is bogus when on they rip-off add ons are added. They leave yoh at cities in the middle of nowhere which is an added cost in time and money.

I'm going to Frankfurt with Lufthansa for 99 return with free drinks and baggage on board in April. No add ons and quality service unlike the Sh! te you have to put up with Ryanair!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post
    This morning my wife and 8 year old daughter flew to Gatwick with ryanair to visit relations. A much anticipated trip for both of them. Due to previous experience of flying with ryanair, we checked and double checked the weight and dimensions of the pieces of handluggage. Both we're comfortably within spec. 10kg and 55x40x20 cm. Despite all this the departure gate attendant refused to allow one piece on the plane as hand luggage. They implied any resistance would jeopardise their chances of going on the plane.
    The bag had to be checked in at the cost of 30 euro. This is clearly a bullying tactic forcing a woman travelling with a young child to cough up rather than risk upsetting the child. Let there be no doubt the bag was within spec and in fact has been on a ryanair flight as hand luggage in the past.

Rant over!
    Did they pull it on size or weight?

Ryanair's tactics have made flying with them only just about bearable at the low prices they charge - if they have to raise their fares due to fuel costs etc. I'd say they'll find a lot of people on now restricted incomes foregoing trips abroad altogether rather than subject themselves to the belligerant treatment of their staff.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't fly with them
    Pay the bit extra to fly Aer Lingus, Lufthansa or whatever

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post

Rant over!
    Within the last two hours I've been talking to someone who had a few days in the U.K. over the weekend. It was their first time flying AL in years. They were pleasantly surprised by the sheer level of professionalism and courtesy compared with that they've experienced with their usual airline , Ryanair.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billr67 View Post
    And people want O'Leary in a cabinet of experts to run the country?
    I heard him tell the truth once.

Quote Originally Posted by hurling_lad View Post
    Did they pull it on size or weight?

Ryanair's tactics have made flying with them only just about bearable at the low prices they charge - if they have to raise their fares due to fuel costs etc. I'd say they'll find a lot of people on now restricted incomes foregoing trips abroad altogether rather than subject themselves to the belligerant treatment of their staff.
    I wasn't there, but I think it was size. The metal frame they use to "size" bags is slightly smaller than 55x40x20 and has curved loops at the bottom that prevent a hard piece of luggage from sitting fully in. It's a scam to catch luggage that's bang on the limit.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
    Don't fly with them
    Pay the bit extra to fly Aer Lingus, Lufthansa or whatever
    +1
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use Ryanair to get to the very south of France a couple of times a year, at least. Perpignan is the destination. With Ryanair I have an option to fly to Gerona or Carcassonne, both about an hour/hour twenty minutes away. They don't fly direct to Perpignan itself. Aer Lingus are starting a service from March direct, and quite cheap too. So, I will now fly Aer Lingus. Saying that, in all the years flying ryanair, I have been careful to follow procedure. Hand luggage only, right size and weight, book in time, check in online, priority boarding, airport on time etc. NEVER have I had one problem with them, to be fair.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast