Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael's Irish language policy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael's Irish language policy

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I'm only new here, so could any Fine Gaeler explain your Irish language policy?

Is it about making it a non-compulsory subject or is actually a meaningful examination of Irish within the education system?
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Fine Gael's Irish language policy

Quote Originally Posted by Dasayev
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I'm only new here, so could any Fine Gaeler explain your Irish language policy?

Is it about making it a non-compulsory subject or is actually a meaningful examination of Irish within the education system?
    Its about playing to the west brit gallery in the hope of getting some cheap votes.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Fairness, Kenny was the only party leader to use gaelige last night. An interesting Irish syllabus, taught to pupils who choose to sit in that class, will do a lot more for the future of the language than the universal approach which has been a total failure since the foundation of the state.
    'It would be a fine memorial to the men who have died so splendidly if we could, over their graves, build a bridge between North and South...' Major Wille Redmond MP, 1917

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its an attempt to promote the use of Irish.
    The removal of the compulsary aspect should in no way be considered an impedement to this. It merely allows people who have no interest in the language to not have to do it.
    Net loss to the irish language from not making people learn it who dont want to- zero.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether

Its an attempt to promote the use of Irish.
    The removal of the compulsary aspect should in no way be considered an impedement to this. It merely allows people who have no interest in the language to not have to do it.
    Net loss to the irish language from not making people learn it who dont want to- zero.
    This is incorrect. If you drop compulsary Irish, even students who like Irish will be forced to drop it to do subjects that are easily crammed. The way the system is set up, the number of points you get is everything.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I don't agree with Enda's recommendation to make Irish optional for the Leaving (and indeed the GP passed a motion at our recent Ard-Fheis rejecting that element of FG policy), he's being much more honest about the faults in the system than FF have ever been.
    It's been clear that there were major faults in the teaching of Irish in national reports back to the 1970s and even further, yet FF have been happy to continue business as usual and lie about their commitment to Irish, rather than make some hard and radical changes. Mary Hanafin's recently mooted reforms are too little, too late.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A language at gunpoint does not work. Period.

Compulsory education does not work too well in anything. In fact, my favourite part of Irish law is the family article of the Constitution which allowed to shoot down compulsory school attendance (High Court decision on a 1942 act).

I'd see ultimate abolition of compulsory education as a worthy long-term goal, but this has humanitarian consequences as non-compulsory education tends to become paid.

I dream of the day when I get good enough in Irish to speak at the Conradh na Gaeilge Ard Fheis about this. (Just give me a couple of years...)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR
    Seemd to work for English. Read Irish history?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR

Compulsory education does not work too well in anything. In fact, my favourite part of Irish law is the family article of the Constitution which allowed to shoot down compulsory school attendance (High Court decision on a 1942 act).

I'd see ultimate abolition of compulsory education as a worthy long-term goal, but this has humanitarian consequences as non-compulsory education tends to become paid.

I dream of the day when I get good enough in Irish to speak at the Conradh na Gaeilge Ard Fheis about this. (Just give me a couple of years...)
    There are many aspects of society which are compulsary - paying taxes, for example. I dont hear FG complaining about that. If you get rid of the points system then you can talk about ending compulsary Irish. While the points system exists, then dropping compulsary Irish actually reduces choice, as students are forced to choose subjects that are easily crammed. Everyone knows that the teaching of Irish in the schools is an absolute disgrace and has to be revolutionised straight away. FG's policy is all about failing to face the challenge and allowing students to drop out of a system which is failing. Anyone who cares about the Irish language should vote against FG's policy of defeat.

Politics.ie Newbie the crimson chin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to agree with Cael and it is an issue that Irish speaking people, and people that appreciate our own language largely dont seem to agree with.

The Irish Language is our National Language and therefore should be taught compulsory in schools. English is our joint first language, does FG think that it shouldnt be compulsory?

For centuries we have seen a decline in the Irish language, almost to extinction and we want to ensure that this never happens again. That is why Irish is compulsory in schools, and most people who have come out of school are glad to use their cupla focail, even as gesture. People were proud when Irish was recognised by the EU.

OK I will admit the syllibus is boring and maybe that should be revised. Maths is also boring, should that be revised? I dont see how it can but since some kids find it boring should it be just left as an option? I agree, lets set about rehashing the system in regards to teaching if Irish then, and I would commend any Minister for Education who will take steps to make Irish more interesting.

I dont think this would be a very popular measure by FG. By making Irish optional it means that considerably less students will do it in school. Children wont just pick Irish, they will opt out for easier subjects. My greatest fear is that this will be the first step on a slippery slope backwards to when Irish was not taught and unappreciated. Look at Wales, who have copied the Irish system of complusory Welsh and the success of this system. Before that, when it was optional very few students, if any, did it. Now the language has seen a rebirth and a new sense of national pride accompanies it.

When I was in Leaving Cert I felt that Irish was stupid and I didnt want to do it and given the choice I would have stopped. Now I am proud that I have a basic command of our language and can express to my foreign friends that English is not our language, we have another one too, our own seperate language because we are a seperate people with a seperate heritage and culture.

And finally, seriously, how hard is Pass Irish? anybody with half a years study could pass it, let alone 13 years. I say keep it compulsory, its hurting nobody, it holds nobody back, sure its an inconvience when your young, but most people feel proud when they are older that they learned it.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast