Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GAA taking over the FAI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default GAA taking over the FAI

Now that the various rules have been dropped concerning non-gaelic games the GAA could be more accurately described as, not so much an association concerned with the playing of gaelic games but more so an association concerned with the games that gaelic people play. Given its undoubted skill at management and funraising and given the shambles that the FAI represents is it not time now to disband the FAI and allow the GAA run soccer as well? Or more generally allow all Irish sport to be placed under its remit.?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

taking into account the stong dislike many GAA members have for soccer and rugby, the idea of handing control of them over to the GAA seems bizarre. Doubly so when you consider that the international rugby team is an all-Ireland one, with considerable Unionist support, and the Unionist community of NI views the GAA as being a republican institution (i.e. being full of the people who they believe have been trying to ethnically cleanse them for the last 30 years)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAA is like American Football, irrelevant!

Shamerock Rovers for the Cup.
    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah cause the Irish Premier soccer league is sooo relevant...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    yeah cause the Irish Premier soccer league is sooo relevant...
    It is to the people that go to the matches every week. Watching football on TV is a load of ************************. There do be some very good games
    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

taking into account the stong dislike many GAA members have for soccer and rugby, the idea of handing control of them over to the GAA seems bizarre. Doubly so when you consider that the international rugby team is an all-Ireland one, with considerable Unionist support, and the Unionist community of NI views the GAA as being a republican institution (i.e. being full of the people who they believe have been trying to ethnically cleanse them for the last 30 years)
    Yes but the majority supported the dropping of the various bans which would seem to indicate that there's room for both in their outlook. Certainly the rugby situation would be problematic but certainly not so for the FAI. Viewing it from a purely practical and managerial perspective the disbandment of the FAI so as to facillitate GAA management seems the right course.
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim84
    GAA is like American Football, irrelevant!

Shamerock Rovers for the Cup.
    How many people would be expected at the cup final?

How many are expected at the All Ireland football and hurling finals?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As someone involved in both sports I can tell you that the hatred of the GAA in soccer cirlces (especially in urban areas) is more intense than the other way around. (eg Declan Lynch types)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As someone involved in both sports I can tell you that the hatred of the GAA in soccer cirlces (especially in urban areas) is more intense than the other way around. (eg Declan Lynch types)
    Do you reckon? I'd be from a football background and the attitude towards the GAA I'd have come across most would be dis-interest. Grudging respect would probably be second. Thing about it is though, everyone hates the FAI - especially football fans. Anything that would see whole-sale sackings of the cowboys running it would get a lot of support.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldira

Absolutely correct. There is considerable anti GAA bias among the supporters of the imported games due to a mix of their feeling that he Gaels look down on them as slaves to television led corporate sport allied to their post colonial dislike of being associated with things irish - they are usually the same people who mock gaelgeoirs etc.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast