Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FG and Cafe bar licences

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FG and Cafe bar licences

can somebody please tell me why FG opposed the cafe bar licences?
    I really would like to know If there is a genuine reason, because if there isnt then we are just like FF and pandering to the vinters.
    Suffering after your abortion? There is help.
    http://www.priestsforlife.org/video/doors1/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cmon! making MORE outlets to get alcohol!!! c'mon like! go to the bathroom, get some cold water and wet yourself!!

just allow the CURRENT restaurants serve beer and who needs these cafes like? i dont go for a drink on my break and dont know many who do!

I DONT THINK YOUR THE REAL MATT BRUTON AT ALL AT ALL! :twisted:

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*listen carefully Matt*

somewhere in the distance, you'll hear the sound of a penny dropping.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Default Re: FG and Cafe bar licences

Quote Originally Posted by theREALmattbruton
    can somebody please tell me why FG opposed the cafe bar licences?
    I really would like to know If there is a genuine reason, because if there isnt then we are just like FF and pandering to the vinters.
    Not necessarily. It could also be because you thought the government were going to introduce them, therefore they had to be opposed. Feel free to support them now, if you like.

The reason given by Damien English on the television yesterday seemed to be along the lines of 'it won't solve binge drinking'. The biggest mistake McDowell made in bringing these forward was to suggest that it would actually impact on drink culture. He would have been a lot better off if he had stuck with the greater competition/greater diversity of venues for drinking argument.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was listening to the radio and it was said that there is no evidence whatsoever that the current system of restricting licences is decreasing alcohol consumption at all. ironically the best way to decrease consumption would be to make it more available.

and think intuitively... when you tell somebody that you cant have something then they want it more.
    Suffering after your abortion? There is help.
    http://www.priestsforlife.org/video/doors1/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“Minister McDowell’s café bars proposals will increase the number of outlets selling alcohol, and in the process will make the national alcohol problem even worse. Instead of extinguishing superpub licences and replacing them with continental-style bars, the Minister wants to set up a parallel network of drink outlets on top of the current network of pubs"

The words of Jim O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Flash
    “Minister McDowell’s café bars proposals will increase the number of outlets selling alcohol, and in the process will make the national alcohol problem even worse. Instead of extinguishing superpub licences and replacing them with continental-style bars, the Minister wants to set up a parallel network of drink outlets on top of the current network of pubs"

The words of Jim O'Keeffe
    That's pretty stupid of him (O'Keeffe). How would it 'make the national alcohol problem even worse'? Perhaps by making alcohol in pubs somewhat cheaper, but I thought FG were all keen to tackle 'Rip-Off Ireland'. Surely that wasn't just more mindless sloganeering and posturing, was it?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so as part of FG's street safe campaign, would FG advocate the closing down of outlets that sell alcohol, such as pubs, off-licenses, supermarkets etc.

I'm not trying to be facetious here, I personally do advocate the removal off licenses from many outlets.

I fail to understand why a garage can sell bottles of wine from 8:30 in the morning, and personally think it is disgraceful.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

quote="Jack_Flash"]“Minister McDowell’s café bars proposals will increase the number of outlets selling alcohol, and in the process will make the national alcohol problem even worse. Instead of extinguishing superpub licences and replacing them with continental-style bars, the Minister wants to set up a parallel network of drink outlets on top of the current network of pubs"

The words of Jim O'Keeffe[/quote]

smiffy says....That's pretty stupid of him (O'Keeffe). How would it 'make the national alcohol problem even worse'? Perhaps by making alcohol in pubs somewhat cheaper, but I thought FG were all keen to tackle 'Rip-Off Ireland'. Surely that wasn't just more mindless sloganeering and posturing, was it?

your funny, your a funny guy!!!

seeing as these bars would be in paralel to the super pubs etc it just means more alcohol, more available alcohol, more cheap available alcohol....you dont see the problem?????

i suggested the REAL matt get some cold water...i say to you madame, get a bath tub of cold water.... :twisted:

NationStates, have you been out drinking in a 'superpub', or in a cafe bar?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast