Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin and the Environment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Féin and the Environment

I've mellowed alot on Sinn Féin recently. I still won't vote for them, but I'm not as against them as before.

What I do find disappointing is that they seem to lack any sort of policy on the environment. The environment section of their website (which even pays prominent lip service to a united Ireland) deals with waste management (in a policy from 2001) and a movement towards local power.

There's nothing (as far as I can tell) on climate change, public transport, energy etc etc. I can understand to an extent that SF's focus lies elsewhere, but why is there virtually nothing? It seems fairly lacking for a fairly large party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The principal addition to our policy statement is the aim of creating a zero waste strategy in Ireland. This means that we believe that the main practical way in which the key dimensions of our existing environmental waste management strategy can be achieved is by demanding a zero waste strategy for the island. This zero waste objective will enhance our other policy objectives including such as a commitment to sustainable development, breaking the cycle of failure and increasing the role of the community in creating an environmentally sustainable future for Ireland."

If implemented, that would be a very significant step towards not only a cleaner environment, but would also lead to a complete shift in people's mindset with regards consumption, manufacturing, building, industry etc. What more do you want?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps something on "climate change, public transport, energy"?

It's sparse and focuses on waste management only. That's got a big role to play, but it's hardly comprehensive in any way. Neither of the two policies in the environment section mention "carbon" or "climate".

A mention of either of those would be nice.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Climate Change? Has the debate not moved on Pidge? Surely the electorate is well aware of the issues with regards to greenhouse gases and carbon dioxide, and has been for years... What is needed is a shift in how people perceive the consumption of goods (and services). They need to be aware of the true cost of their consumption and what better way than to have a zero waste strategy? This change in mindset will benefit society and the environment in ways that can only be imagined. Ditch Gormley, Get on board the eco-friendly shinnermobile.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't believe it. You're right, the debate has moved on - from 2001.

If you want to talk about climate change and preventing it, you have to use the word "carbon" or "climate" at some point. There isn't just one solution to all our environmental problems.

(Sorry if you're ripping the piss, by the way. It's difficult to tell.)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But seriously, you're probably right... There should be more detail in the SF manifesto particularly on energy usage, farming and public transport. No jokes about removing dye from agricultural diesel please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Phew!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually as far as I know we have a much more detailed and up to date policy document on environmental issues than what would seem to be on the site. Climate change is mentioned in the manifesto but really its the policies on carbon reduction, lowering general waste accumulation and encouraging recycling that matter. Most people have accepted climate change is happening now we have to stop it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomáis Joad
    Climate change is mentioned in the manifesto but really its the policies on carbon reduction...that matter.

Pettiness aside, I'd be interested to see the SF policy. This is usually where cain1798 jumps in...

*glances to doorway*

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    They need to be aware of the true cost of their consumption and what better way than to have a zero waste strategy?
    Eh, Carbon tax? Zero waste is not going to solve carbon emissions. Nice effort at muddling through by muttering random phrases related to environmental policy though - you're not Dick Roche are you?
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast