Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Economists on TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Economists on TV

The Vincent Browne show on TV3 always seems to have the cassandra economists on. Whilst what they say, and forecast might actually be correct, surely there are economists who disagree with them? The government must be taking advice from someone and it might be interesting to hear from one of them. Similarly when listening to Newstalk. I only ever seem to hear from McWilliams, Kiberd, Lucey et al. Is the Government on a solo run, flying in the face of reality, or is this a well thought out strategy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd guess solo run flying in the face of reality. They're very experienced at that!
    Back to being a newbieand a new username

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are very few economists who agree with the direction (at least the public direction as we've no idea what is being mooted privately) of the Government. The public direction of the Government lacks reality - there is simply no way that the economy can bear the level of debt that is being discussed. It really is that simple and then you move on from there. The main problem is we're constantly behind the market, Spain will have defaulted by the time we have decided to default. The only route out of this is a combination of default and quantitative easing by the ECB. I don't think the mandarins at the ECB know how to be central bankers though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    The Vincent Browne show on TV3 always seems to have the cassandra economists on. Whilst what they say, and forecast might actually be correct, surely there are economists who disagree with them? The government must be taking advice from someone and it might be interesting to hear from one of them. Similarly when listening to Newstalk. I only ever seem to hear from McWilliams, Kiberd, Lucey et al. Is the Government on a solo run, flying in the face of reality, or is this a well thought out strategy?
    If they are correct whats the point disagreeing with them? In our current situation it's all Cassandra. Every action the FF**kers take worsens the situation because every action they take is based on covering some interest groups ass or their own. At no point have they made a decision in what they are constantly banging on about i.e. the National Interest

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government have consistently lied to us. Their economic advisers (if they have any) have been wrong on every single issue. The 'cassandra economists' have been proven right every time.

Yes I think the government is on a solo run flying in the face of reality. Or perhaps there are too many skeletons in the cupboard and as soon as they admit the game is up the sh*t will hit the fan and expose the corruption at the heart of the government.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Alan Aherne needs to start talking more.

He is Lendahands economic advisor.

Is Jim O`Leary also now working in DOF. Also Rossa White has moved from Davys I believe.

Anyone on the inside with true knowledge as to the facts and the run on deposits must be aware of the devastation. The DOF must also know how tax receipts from self employed performed. There has been no leak yet as to whether they were up or down on last year.

My belief is down 20%...........if they were up we would have had a "leak"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Peter Matthews needs to be taken on as a consultant immediately. He would probably work for FREE. Get him in today.

The fecker hasn't invited me yet!
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally I think a lot of the economists would advise for free if asked. Many of them do have, to use that much maligned phrase , the national interest, at heart.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

They most likely are getting proper advicxe and, true to form, are chosing to ignore it. Alan Ahearn had a good brain and was more or less in line with the thinking of Lucey, McW and Kelly. Cant see him changing his tune just because he is paid by Lenihan now. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is they are chosing to ignore the advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast