Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Sarkozy Spies On Journalists.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Sarkozy Spies On Journalists.

This story has been retaken by Le Monde in France but was originaly published in the Canard Enchainé.

In an article by it's Editor-in-Chief, Claude Angeli, the Canard Enchainé published an article the 3rd of November which claims French President Nicolas Sarkozy personaly supervised the surveillance of certain journalist.
    Quoting anonymous sources in the Central Division for Internal Intelligence (DCRI) the aricle said
    since the beginning of the year, at least, as soon as a journalist starts an inconvenient investigation for him [Sarkozy] or his [friends], Sarkozy asked Bernard Squarcini, head of French Intelligence, to take an interest in the journalist. To be clear, to put him under surveillance, to research him and especially, his informers.
    According to the paper, the DCRI had even put in place a special group charged with tracking the sources of certain journalists. The method, according to the Canard Enchainé, starts by consulting detailed telephone bills of journalist to identify their sources.
    According to one source inside the DCRI quoted in the article
    The [telephone] opertators are in great complicity with us
    This comes after journalists from Le Monde and website Mediapart both had their telephone bills consulted in illegal circumstances in relation the Bettencourt Affair, before both were burgled and had their laptops stolen.

Source (French) - Selon "Le Canard enchan", Sarkozy supervise l'espionnage de journalistes - LeMonde.fr

In the Reporteurs Sans Frontieres world classment of Liberty of the Press, France came 44nd. Ireland was ranked 10th.
    Source - http://www.rsf.org/IMG/CLASSEMENT_20...CP_GENERAL.pdf

What are people's thought on one of the power houses of Europe being so repressive to the press.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Whats the difference between a Journalist and a Spy ?

Spy generally has a bigger expense account.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Whats the difference between a Journalist and a Spy ?

Spy generally has a bigger expense account.
    What, if any, is the relevence to the OP? Do you feel it is quite acceptable for the President of a country to use state intelligence agencies (funded by the tax payer) to protect himself and his friends from being exposed for possible illegal activities?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    What, if any, is the relevence to the OP? Do you feel it is quite acceptable for the President of a country to use state intelligence agencies (funded by the tax payer) to protect himself and his friends from being exposed for possible illegal activities?
    They do and every govt does it.

However my point was that the difference between Spy and Journalist is that in actual fact there is none just different bosses with different expense accounts.

When you have journalists fairly reporting the facts without personal spin then have a case but sadly i don't ever see that happening.

The claims of we need a free press , really mean are that we need a free press that will spin our side of the story and shut up our opponents.

A Free Press is a nice concept but I reckon will never see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully, that would never happen in Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Consulting telephone bills' - what a load of nonsense.

This sort of thing is done routinely and automatically by a number of intelligence (and indeed subversive) organisations.

Its widely known that the Brits, for example, get the Yanks to monitor people that they cant get a warrant for and vice versa.
    The Echelon system was tested on Ireland in the 70s/80s where all electronic traffic was logged, recorded and scrutinised.

The idea of 'spies' pouring over phone bills or nicking laptops is nonsense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They do and every govt does it.

However my point was that the difference between Spy and Journalist is that in actual fact there is none just different bosses with different expense accounts.

When you have journalists fairly reporting the facts without personal spin then have a case but sadly i don't ever see that happening.

The claims of we need a free press , really mean are that we need a free press that will spin our side of the story and shut up our opponents.

A Free Press is a nice concept but I reckon will never see it.
    So becausse a journalist investigates they are the same as a spy? And it's fine for governmetns to violate their own laws on the protection of sources?
    What kind of retard are you?
    - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    So becausse a journalist investigates they are the same as a spy? And it's fine for governmetns to violate their own laws on the protection of sources?
    What kind of retard are you?
    F**k you you ignorant retard.

If you want to get personal go for it and continue to be a moron.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by needle_too View Post
    'Consulting telephone bills' - what a load of nonsense.

This sort of thing is done routinely and automatically by a number of intelligence (and indeed subversive) organisations.

Its widely known that the Brits, for example, get the Yanks to monitor people that they cant get a warrant for and vice versa.
    The Echelon system was tested on Ireland in the 70s/80s where all electronic traffic was logged, recorded and scrutinised.

The idea of 'spies' pouring over phone bills or nicking laptops is nonsense.
    If you could give some examples of journalists who each governmetn couldn't get warrents for?

So you are saying that the intelligence service didn't look at the phone reecords (which they admitted)? Or that it's just a coincidence that both journalists involved in breaking this the Bettencourt Affair had their laptops stolen?

The reaction here seems to be, "Well sure they spy on everyone"! Does it bother no-one? The fact is that alot of inside info in the Bettencourt Affair came from someone in the Elysée who was promptly discovered thanks to these illegal techniques and subsequently punished for it. How quickly will another insider denounce immoral, unethical or outright illegal action if they have to fear the intelligence service of the country coming after them (and remember the "and friends" part in the article, this is not just Sarkozy and his ministers but his freinds in high places too and all payed for by the public who are being screwed over).
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

F**k you you ignorant retard.

If you want to get personal go for it and continue to be a moron.
    You are a retard. The protection of sources is illegaly violated by teh state on the orders of the president to save the reputation of him and his cronies and your reaction is, "welll journalists are like spies". Your a muppet, nothing more and if you cannot contribute anything intelligent then you deserve all the insults you get YOU RETARD (no offence to any actaully mentally handicapped people, I wouldn't want to insult them by making the comparison to Odie1kanobie)
    - Terry Pratchett