Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Children put on Back Burner AGAIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Children put on Back Burner AGAIN

Someone please explain to me why each and every child in this country means so little to this government? Brian Cowen stated in the Oireachtas yesterday "that the promised referendum on children's rights will be delayed for some time."

Children's rights referendum delayed - RT News

In 2006, we, the people of this country were promised this referendum, 4 years ago!!! In 2007 they published "the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill."

Constitutional Referendum on Children's Rights - Office of the Minister for Children - Department of Health and Children - Ireland

Then they formed a Joint Committee on the Constitutional Amendment on Children. However the Departments of Education and Justice have objected to some of the wording put forward by the Joint Committee as they believe the wording of the proposed referendum would 'cost them money' .......

All-party pact over children's referendum scrapped - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Yes I realise what an abismal state we are in financially at the moment, however I happen to think our children (and particularly their protection) should be placed first in importance. We need to give them a voice. I also realise that it will not solve every childhood issue and problem but for those it may solve it needs to be done. It is a disgrace to our country that this has been 'in the pipeline' for 4 years and has once again been delayed.

I hope that those of you out there who are interested in this issue will make it clear to each and every one of your local representatives that you in no way find this acceptable behaviour on the part of adults who are supposed to protect the most vunerable in our society.

Finally how can the government justify delaying once more something so important?
    Last edited by berberie; 3rd November 2010 at 01:14 PM.
    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. GB Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PS made a call to 'the powers that be' and was informed that 'wording' is now in the hands of The Attorney General. It's funny isn't it, no matter who you talk to it's always someone else's fault/someone else causing a delay!

It was also suggested (not by me) during phone call that our government is 'afraid' of holding this referendum as the voters might not pass it due to feelings re the actual government at this time.

How do the rest of you feel? Do you really think we voters could fail to vote positively to slap an extremely unpopular government on the wrist, or are you insulted by the mere suggestion?
    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. GB Shaw

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent. The so-called "childrens rights" referendum is a bad idea.

It is badly written, unneccesary and verbose. And places the rights of the state before those of the family.

It also undermines the presumption of innocence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Childrens rights, like womens rights, clash with the residuum of Catholic Social teaching - including the right of the family - that is embedded in the fabric of the Irish State and Constitution.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Childrens rights, like womens rights, clash with the residuum of Catholic Social teaching - including the right of the family - that is embedded in the fabric of the Irish State and Constitution.
    I suspect there's a more or less consistent (and very discreet) catholic wing in FF that can twist arms particularly painfully at the moment, as the Dáil majority dwindles.

I don't believe any risk of losing the referendum is a serious factor. On this issue there are few enough who would vote no simply to hurt the government, and the government would be very glad to take the credit for having passed it on the cusp of an election.

I'd say they won't do it because they can't get an adequate wording past the Michael Woods brigade.

And even the most vocal FF supporters of this change (Mammy O'Rourke, for instance) will roll over, because in the end, the party is more important than any policy whatsoever.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Destiny View Post

It is badly written, unneccesary and verbose. And places the rights of the state before those of the family.

Christ Jesus man!

There is no fecking wording defined yet!

FFS

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Children put on the back-burner AGAIN
    One way of doing it I suppose, but I find on a tray in an oven, or better still, turned slowly on a spit, keeps the juices in.
    'What is the crime of robbing a bank compared with the crime of founding one?'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Destiny View Post

Well Celtic that is your opinion, but personally I find it very neccesary in this country to give minors a voice. Plus as a parent I really don't have a problem with handing up a right or two to protect those children that face a childhood of abuse/neglect/death as I do happen to care about the welfare of other children in this state, not just my own child!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I suspect there's a more or less consistent (and very discreet) catholic wing in FF that can twist arms particularly painfully at the moment, as the Dáil majority dwindles.

I don't believe any risk of losing the referendum is a serious factor. On this issue there are few enough who would vote no simply to hurt the government, and the government would be very glad to take the credit for having passed it on the cusp of an election.

I'd say they won't do it because they can't get an adequate wording past the Michael Woods brigade.

And even the most vocal FF supporters of this change (Mammy O'Rourke, for instance) will roll over, because in the end, the party is more important than any policy whatsoever.
    Totally agree with you and Cruimh!

i believe this referendum is about 20 years overdue to our international obligations
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast