Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: If there was a second General Election in 1989?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default If there was a second General Election in 1989?

Thinking back to 1989 when the results of the General Election left a very inconclusive picture and the result in the failure to elect a government or Taoiseach for nearly a month. Until Fianna Fail and Haughey swallowed pride over honour and broke the Fianna Fail core rule of anti-coalition in going into coalition with the Progressive Democrats, there was talk of a second election.

What would have happened if this second election occured? would Fianna Fail have got a majority, maybe Fine Gael would have won more seats than the first election and governed with Labour or in a minority form, perhaps Fine Gael might have overtaken Fianna Fail or a FF-PD coalition would have happened regardless.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After a failure to form a government, I would expect smaller parties to get squeezed. The largest chunk of those were PD and WP seats. Considering the areas of support, I think FF could have come back with three or four more in gains from those parties. Which in turn could have meant a FF minority government with backing from friendly Indos.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

must agree....fair....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The small parties get totalled. No way can the PDs or the WP survive another election so soon. Even Labour is quite weak at this time, and it will leak more seats to FF probably. So FF government.

Actually, I must get out my copy of James Downey's "All Things New", which discusses the election and the formation of the Coalition in minute detail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
    The small parties get totalled. No way can the PDs or the WP survive another election so soon. Even Labour is quite weak at this time, and it will leak more seats to FF probably. So FF government.

Actually, I must get out my copy of James Downey's "All Things New", which discusses the election and the formation of the Coalition in minute detail.
    The WP's seats were concentrated in Dublin, where De Rossa (I think) topped the poll in the European election. No reason to think there would have been a wipte out on that basis.