Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TASC endorses Sinn Féin budget!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michael Taft of TASC endorses Sinn Féin budget!

progressive-economy@tasc: At least one party gets it

Michael Taft of TASC is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

It also makes €600m available to restore the Christmas bonus and other welfare programs. Simply something we can't afford at this time.

This economic think tank and other groups would rather we keep our luxuries now and let it be paid for by future generations such as myself!

God help us if TASC holds any influence on public policy. They seem to be very popular among Labour supporters too! If this is the kind of "progressive" thought that is supposed to save us I might as well pack my bags now. The bond markets would sink us within seconds if we were to pass a budget like this.
    Last edited by davehiggz; 2nd November 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davehiggz View Post

The daft Michael Taft is once proving his worth as a union "economist".

He is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

It also makes €600m available to restore the Christmas bonus and other welfare programs. Simply something we can't afford at this time.

This economic think tank and other groups would rather we keep our luxuries now and let it be paid for by future generations such as myself!

God help us if TASC holds any influence on public policy. They seem to be very popular among Labour supporters too! If this is the kind of "progressive" thought that is supposed to save us I might as well pack my bags now. The bond markets would sink us within seconds if we were to pass a budget like this.
    We are sunk, and it is not Sinn Fein fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    We are sunk, and it is not Sinn Fein fault.
    Best not to sink us further!!

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The daft Michael Taft is once proving his worth as a union "economist".

He is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

Would you have a problem with any of the following items Dave ?

Public spending savings of €1.2 billion.

including

Capping public sector pay at €100,000,

Reduction in professional fees working for Government agencies

Charging private patients the full economic rate in public hospitals.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or would you have a major problem with this,

In their main plank, they are seeking a €7 billion ‘employment/infrastructure’ stimulus over the next 3-5 years with €2 billion in 2011; all to be funded from National Pension Reserve Fund (NPRF). They are seeking to create 160,000 jobs.

Including infrastructural projects such as...

. focus on the more labour intensive and necessary infrastructure, such as schools, hospitals, conversion of appropriate vacant accommodation to social housing, improving energy efficiency in homes and public transport provision . . . remediating the leaking water network and extending the current pilot water collection scheme to all schools, thus saving costs on water and creating jobs; and rolling out broadband across the state.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post

In their main plank, they are seeking a €7 billion ‘employment/infrastructure’ stimulus over the next 3-5 years with €2 billion in 2011; all to be funded from National Pension Reserve Fund (NPRF). They are seeking to create 160,000 jobs.

. focus on the more labour intensive and necessary infrastructure, such as schools, hospitals, conversion of appropriate vacant accommodation to social housing, improving energy efficiency in homes and public transport provision . . . remediating the leaking water network and extending the current pilot water collection scheme to all schools, thus saving costs on water and creating jobs; and rolling out broadband across the state.
    It will be good to get the Construction industry up and running once more. This industry helps halt emigration as our skilled workers will have oppurtunities at home. Also it will also create a knock on effect on the local economy which will help save and create jobs in cafes, shops etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best not to sink us further!!

Brian Lenihan must go then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Michael Taft hasn't endorsed it, but has asked for some reasoned debate around the specific proposals.

And thats probably the daftest thing he'll ever say! Reasoned debate is not on the agenda when it comes to those who hate the Shinners so much that they can't even see when they have good ideas.

Just keep on ignoring them, like ye did in 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you have a problem with any of the following items Dave ?

Public spending savings of €1.2 billion.

including

Capping public sector pay at €100,000,

Reduction in professional fees working for Government agencies

Charging private patients the full economic rate in public hospitals.
    We need more than €1.2bn in public spending savings. Even with Labour's 50/50 approach we'll need at least €2bn for a €4bn budget and I believe the FG approach of 3:1 is better so at least €3bn in cuts.

€100k is too low for a cap as we need to attract talented people to run department heads. They'll be lost to private sector positions otherwise. I'd prefer a cap of 200k or 250k. The Taoiseach should be less than €200k.

Professional fees should be reduced but it's not going to generate a whole lot of money.

Charging private patients more is just going to force people back onto the public system costing us more. It's a stupid idea. We need to move to universal health care. It seems Sinn Féin would rather keep the two tier system?

Fine Gael has already proposed a stimulus package. Ours is €18bn to create 100,000 jobs yet SF thinks it can get 160,000 jobs out of €7bn??

I hope SF have sent their to places like the World Bank and other institutions to have their figures verified, because that's what Simon Coveney did with our stimulus plan.

SF is more concerned with social infrastructure like Hospitals and Social Housing. These investments won't have the knock off jobs that would happen if we invested in renewable energy, something that seems lacking in the SF plan. We need to focus on energy, transport broadband and once we have investment we can use that money for schools and hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    Michael Taft hasn't endorsed it, but has asked for some reasoned debate around the specific proposals.

And thats probably the daftest thing he'll ever say! Reasoned debate is not on the agenda when it comes to those who hate the Shinners so much that they can't even see when they have good ideas.

Just keep on ignoring them, like ye did in 2007.
    He said that they're the only party who "gets it". That's enough of an endorsement for me.

If SF can produce a credible and believable budget plan then I'll applaud it. However as long as they play the populist game they won't have my backing! And yes, I will continue to ignore them until they come around to economic reality. You can't tax your way out of recession!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would happily engage in a debate with SF, Taft our anyone based on this after they explain how we'll borrow the 20-24Bn we need for 2011.

Until that is addressed everything else goes out the window.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast