Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A budget from an ordinary man.

Politics.ie Member Ethan Edwards's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A budget from an ordinary man.

If you were Minister for Finance or Taioseach, what would you do? I put this list together over a couple of hours, with the idea of balancing the books somewhat without inflicting to much pain on the ordinary citizens of Ireland especially those who can ill afford it. I don’t know how many are runners but it is not only about raising money but trying to make life a little more tolerable for people. Please feel free to attach your own idea’s or make comments I would be interested to know. If you do please leave any axe you have to grind against any particular section of society out as to me this is an experiment in “Can a fair budget be formed”.

1.Reduce the Presidents household budget by 35%
    2.Reduce the Presidents salary by 30%
    3.Reduce the Taioseach salary by 30% this to be followed by all Ministers, TD’s,
    4.All forigen trips by state representatives are to be by commerical filght.
    5.The pension entitlements of Td's Ministers Taioseach, President are to reflect their new reduced salary.
    6.Pension entitlements for Td's Ministers Taioseach, President are to only kick in when they retire from public life and only one public pension for one public representative.
    7.AP’s, PO’s, Assistant Sectary General and Secretary General or Semi State equivalents to have their salaries capped and this to be reflected in their pension entitlements.
    8.No more bonuses paid to top public servants and a clause to be placed in their contract that if they under perform or bring the reputation of their office or the Country into disrepute they can be removed forfeiting all entitlements.
    9.Past Taoiseachs of Ireland are to have their allowances and perks curtailed and again only kick in when they retire from public life.
    10.Judges to take a 25% reduction in salary and to be reflected in their pension
    11.All Guango’s that are found to duplicating work done by the mother Dept are closed and staff transferred to were they are needed, all others not able to prove they are providing a necessary function/service to the people of Ireland are closed.
    12.Drop the €10,000 annual postal allowance TD's receive to €2000 and all other allowances to reviewed downward to reflect our new situation.
    13.No more “Turning up Money” for Dublin TD’s
    14.Abolish Seanad Éireann
    15.An indefinite recruitment ban on administrative public service appointments with exceptions for frontline staff this does not include the Army which is to be reduced in size through natural wastage to a well resourced core with a renewed focus on building up the PDF as a support.
    16.Public Servants are to take over clerical work currently being done by Garda, Army, Navy, Air Corp.
    17.Any Public Representative who is claiming an expense from the state must produce an appropriate receipt or no payment.
    18.Double all fines.
    19.Collect all outstanding fines.
    20.2cent tax on all texts
    21.20cent rise on cigarettes
    22.20cent rise on spirits
    23.10cent rise on beers
    24.10cent tax on all online purchases.
    25.The ceiling on PRSI is to be doubled.
    26.Cut all overseas aid for the time being.
    27.All Town & County Councils abolished replaced with 3 Provincial Councils and one for Dublin City
    28.People in Prison for non-payment of fines released and given community service.
    29.All foreign nationals in Irish prisons are to be repatriated to their own country to serve the remainder of their sentence in their home prisons which we will pay for only if this works out cheaper.
    30.All photocopiers and printers in the public service to be automatically set to double sided.
    31.Corporation tax to remain unchanged.
    32.As much as possible generic medicines to be purchased by the HSE.
    33.All consultants to make a choice public or private no in-between.
    34. All Army medical centres around the Country are to be opened to the public.
    35.The Armies Equastrian school to be closed till further notice.
    36. All Garda currently driving Government Ministers or standing outside Government buildings are to be replaced with military police.
    37. A cap on the issuing of Taxi plates in line with population demand + 5% to be reviewed annually.
    38.An inspector to be assigned to each Taxi rank to measure business activity, stop Q skipping and ensure minorities in the Taxi business are not excluded from ranks, parking is correct, and to deter/detect fraudsters.
    39. All recent price hikes in heating and vehicle fuels are to be reversed
    40.The end of financial support given to Private secondary schools.
    41.If €70,000 or more is going into a household than child benefit is to be stopped.
    42.RTE are to reduce salaries of their top earners.
    43.We approach the EU and tell them we will be accepting no more workers from any other European Countries till the economy recovers unless the particularly skill is unavailable in Ireland.
    44.A review of the €10 travel tax if deemed unproductive it is to be removed.
    45.People on unemployment benefit are to be encouraged to take up voluntary positions in NGO’s, Social groups for an example of this would be the Scouts and associated organisations, if they volunteer for work in these organisations the cumulative hours will go towards extending the time period they can claim unemployment benefit (hours allowed to volunteer per week to be decided to best make the scheme effective for all) intern positions for newly qualified professionals e.g. solicitors are also to made available under the same scheme within Local Authorities and Public Service offices.
    46.A level of Social Protection for those people whose business has closed due to the downturn to be introduced this programme is to be provided from the current SW budget through savings in other areas.
    47.From this date there will be a one month amnesty for people who are claiming SW benefits fraudulently too stop, after this period expires anyone found defrauding the SW will be banned from any payments or benefits for one year.
    48.The annual fee of €225 is paid to all medical practitioners for medical card holders currently on the books. I believe there are different rates paid depending on weather you are an OAP, unemployed, etc. this will be stopped.
    49. Monies to be made available for the immediate building of a dedicated CF (cystic fibrosis) unit, until then an Army medical unit or NAMA hotel to be ring fenced for this purpose.
    50.All Govt Departments must engage in “haggling” when in discussion with tenders.
    51.If a Govt dept does not spend its budget delivering its service to the public, it is to be rewarded and encouraged.
    52.A whistle blowers charter is to be introduced.
    53.A ban on people under the age of 16 owning horses unless they can prove to an animal welfare inspector the animal can be looked after properly and purchase a licence.
    54.A ban on the ownership of all dangerous breeds of dogs within the 26 counties.
    55.All medicines are to be classed as zero vat not just those that are designated by Revenue.
    56.A web site were members of the public can submit ideas about raising revenue, this will also have a section for public servants to suggest cost saving measures in their section or Dept. If these measures are adopted the person will receive 10% of the first years savings or revenue generated.
    57.The DPP’s office to give victims or their families the reason why a prosecution is not being taken.

This by no means an exhaustive list but maybe a start.
    Last edited by Ethan Edwards; 2nd November 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Politics.ie Member Social Conscience's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about 'freezing' all mortgage repayments for the next 12 months? Would Joe Public spend this extra cash and therefore increase the state's coffers??
    From great tragedy emerges great art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say that was an idea that appealed to me, of course there would be people not being sensible and ending up in a worse situation but I think that would be the minority. At this stage we have to think outside the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
    I have to say that was an idea that appealed to me, of course there would be people not being sensible and ending up in a worse situation but I think that would be the minority. At this stage we have to think outside the box.
    10 cent tax on the use of clichés

Legalise and tax weed!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ethan, that's not a 'budget'

there's some OK ideas but there's no costing!
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ethan

Being honest I like your way of thinking

Have you a rough figure as to what kind of money you think would be saved with such an idea...

A Mortgage Pay Freeze, I would be very much in favour of also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    Ethan, that's not a 'budget'

there's some OK ideas but there's no costing!
    I know there is no costing but the DOF haven’t invited me in to look over the books yet so I am going with what I feel is the right thing to do thats all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyEdo View Post
    10 cent tax on the use of clichés

Legalise and tax weed!!
    Yes that would be broadly in line with what I was thinking

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
    I know there is no costing but the DOF haven’t invited me in to look over the books yet so I am going with what I feel is the right thing to do thats all.

A lot of what you have submitted makes sense and you should send your submission to the DOF, then you can say you did your part

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll vote for you, Ethan. You should forward your suggestions to Lendahand, it may give him an idea of what to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast