Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: cut brian cowens wages by 50percent and all tds and politicians should be capped

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default cut brian cowens wages by 50percent and all tds and politicians should be capped

I am just an normal woman who doesn't know too much about politics and the inns and outs.I am trying to learn as i go along.But it seems to me that we are paying hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money on wages to the politicians.
    Now maybe i am wrong but wouldn't it make sense to half biffos wages and cap all politicians wages to 40-50,000euro and give them a bonus when deserved so they have an incentive to work towards what the people want.We should get to vote if they have done enough for the bonus in each area and even though it would not solve all our debt it would be a huge start.
    Now any one who has any insight into why the politicians need more than 40,000- 50,000euro except to have a lavish lifestyle then i want to hear it because i am trying to learn.but the fact of the matter is it is working people who spend there money in the economy and keep things going and yet most are meant to live on 25-35,000 euro per year so if we can do it so can the people who work in OUR Irish government ,,it is still only a job they are dong in the grand scheme of things so capping there wages at 35-40,000euro means they will still be lightly richer than the average person

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is another closely related suggestion, but a bit more generous to them -

Quote Originally Posted by FO'Toole
    ....here’s my modest proposal. Let us at least give ourselves some pride by making a collective bargain. We will pay water and property taxes – if all public salaries come down to €100,000 until 2014. (I do mean all – president, taoiseach, judges, senior civil servants, chief executives of State companies etc.) And if they don’t, we won’t. We are willing, in other words, to make a sacrifice. But we are not prepared to be the sacrifice.

Let the elite endure economic pain too - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 02, 2010
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its the quangos that eat up all our money. Cutting TD's wages will give us maybe an exta €300,000 - We've got to save much more then this.

Surfacing our Debt is like saving the Titanic from sinking with a Bucket. Imagine you owe €50,000 to a bank and all you are doing is paying 20 a month off. This is the situation we are in. We're effectively waiting on the IMF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mindyk007 View Post
    I am just an normal woman who doesn't know too much about politics and the inns and outs.I am trying to learn as i go along.But it seems to me that we are paying hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money on wages to the politicians.
    Now maybe i am wrong but wouldn't it make sense to half biffos wages and cap all politicians wages to 40-50,000euro and give them a bonus when deserved so they have an incentive to work towards what the people want.We should get to vote if they have done enough for the bonus in each area and even though it would not solve all our debt it would be a huge start.
    Now any one who has any insight into why the politicians need more than 40,000- 50,000euro except to have a lavish lifestyle then i want to hear it because i am trying to learn.but the fact of the matter is it is working people who spend there money in the economy and keep things going and yet most are meant to live on 25-35,000 euro per year so if we can do it so can the people who work in OUR Irish government ,,it is still only a job they are dong in the grand scheme of things so capping there wages at 35-40,000euro means they will still be lightly richer than the average person
    The high wages are paid so that they will all follow the policies and not rock the boat. This has been done in all levels of public jobs as well. For example Limerick city council has four directors on 100K+, where is the value for money here? 400k for 4 men and they cut frontline workers. I am sure this is common practice nationwide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Here is another closely related suggestion, but a bit more generous to them -

Let the elite endure economic pain too - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 02, 2010
    i still think 100,000 is far too much..i mean how are they ever going to now what real life is like for normal working people if they are given that much money to live on..its not going to change their thinking and we need to change the way they understand and view things.and i am not paying water charges..what are we paying tax for already if we keep getting extra separate things we have to pay for on top of whats taken out of our wages ..Scotland pay tax and they get free medical service and free school and it is free not like over here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

40K-50K is a bit on the lowside as it will put off a lot of professionals who would take a significant pay cut.

But, broadly I agree with cutting politicians pay. A salary of around 70K would suffice. 120K would be fine for the Taoiseach.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

When you say capped is this like reverse circumcision ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    Its the quangos that eat up all our money. Cutting TD's wages will give us maybe an exta 300,000 - We've got to save much more then this.

Surfacing our Debt is like saving the Titanic from sinking with a Bucket. Imagine you owe 50,000 to a bank and all you are doing is paying 20 a month off. This is the situation we are in. We're effectively waiting on the IMF
    can i ask were you got 300,000 as our only saving on cutting politicians wages

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can i ask were you got 300,000 as our only saving on cutting politicians wages
    Well how much is it?

€3 million - still very small

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i still think 100,000 is far too much..i mean how are they ever going to now what real life is like for normal working people if they are given that much money to live on..its not going to change their thinking and we need to change the way they understand and view things.and i am not paying water charges..what are we paying tax for already if we keep getting extra separate things we have to pay for on top of whats taken out of our wages ..Scotland pay tax and they get free medical service and free school and it is free not like over here
    Why then would lawyers, accountants, economists, academics, doctors, engineers, scientists, business people or anyone else earning well in excess of 100k in the private sector - or public sector for that matter - stand for election if they were to see their salary slashed to less than half of what they earn today?

Surely the whole point is to encourage quality candidates to stand for election to run the country and make our laws - not the current gombeens we have, many of whom have no qualifications or experience for high office bar the fact that they are 'good party people'?

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast