Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: David McWilliams - "Who’ll invest in a country with an obvious death wish?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default David McWilliams - "Who’ll invest in a country with an obvious death wish?"

Who

Good one for David, showing how out of touch ff are with the country and how this is killing the economy.

Against this background, the people who run the country make announcements about ‘‘front loading’’ budget cuts as if budget cuts are some sort of clean arithmetic, which has no impact on the economics.
    This is not arithmetic, it is economics and, in economics, everything is related.
    On paper, arithmetic can look clean and incisive, but in reality it affects jobs and people’s decisions to spend.
    But the incompetent lads who run this country don’t understand this. They got all macho on us last week and made the big announcement on the budget that was supposed to prove that Ireland could take the ‘‘hard’’ decisions.
    And what happened? The market laughed in their faces. Everyone can see through the corny schoolboy language of our regime.
    We all know that there is nothing hard about writing a cheque for rich investors in Anglo while at the same time, cutting the health budget for the poorest.
    So when the governing insiders tell a prospective investor not to worry because the plan is ‘‘screw the people and look after the bank investors, rather than the bank customers’’, who can blame the investor for running a mile.

It looks like ff economic policy is to wreck the economy so it'll take a generation to fix. Those traitorous bastards.
    "WAKE UP! THE RICH ARE RAPING YOU!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mc. Williams is the sort of person Bertie Aherne wanted to commit suicide a couple of years ago.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, there is no way that the budget will be passed and there will be an election in the new year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    There is light at the end of the tunnel, there is no way that the budget will be passed and there will be an election in the new year.
    and what difference will this have on the fundamentals?

(don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted to see FF reduced to what they deserve - irrelevance)
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

http://www.politics.ie/kildare/14162...-266-jobs.html

Tesco investing heavily and they are no slouches in understanding where to invest.

Politics.ie Member Social Conscience's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    Mc. Williams is the sort of person Bertie Aherne wanted to commit suicide a couple of years ago.

What makes you so confident of the budget not been passed?
    From great tragedy emerges great art.

Politics.ie Member Social Conscience's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post

Tesco investing heavily and they are no slouches in understanding where to invest.
    This is called the Mary Byrne effect.
    From great tragedy emerges great art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

neither are the bond markets

hmm, I'm confused. Guess I'll stick with what I know and the bond and CDS markets are telling me Ireland is bust.
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prviously thought very highly of David McWilliams but now his article in the Indo has turned into populist garbage.

All his proposals seem to add to the national debt which the markets already think is going to be become unmanageable!

Also why is it that no economists can really agree with eachother? And surely its the economic advisors like Alan Ahearne that are telling the government the best course of action?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah that will put a big dint in the unemployment figures....

I notice your not so quick to post about the amount of businesses closing down or the amount of the self employed who will find themselves in a very bad way after this budget kills whatevers left of the economy...

Everyone will be shopping in Lidl or Aldi anyway..thats why their lashing all the other supermarket chains out of it these days because their cheaper and the euro goes a lot futher.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    surely its the economic advisors like Alan Ahearne that are telling the government the best course of action?
    yes that would explain their rational decision-making process over the last couple of years

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast