Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Times reports allegation that Lenihan "feared for his job" due to PWC report

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sunday Times reports allegation that Lenihan "feared for his job" due to PWC report

The Sunday Times doesn't get much exposure online due to its paywall. But yesterday it ran with this fascinating story on the front page:
    Files leaked to the Sunday Times, which are also in the possession of the gardai, also allege that Brian Lenihan, the finance minister, feared for his job after admitting in the Dail in February 2009 that it took him three months before he read a report that was written in October 2008 about the transaction between IL&P and Anglo.
    Lenihan allegedly told Gillian Bowler, the IL&P chairman, that she should not resign following the disclosure of the arrangement between the two banks because he wanted her to stay around to help politically.
    A statement from Denis Casey, the former chief executive of IL&P, claims that Bowler told him this on February 12, 2009 - after he was asked to leave a meeting while Lenihan held a "one to one" meeting with his chairwoman.
    Casey claims Bowler told him after the meeting that Lenihan had said he might need both Ray McSharry, another member of the IL&P board, and her to "put in a good word" for him with Brian Cowen, the taoiseach.
    Casey has given the gardai a note of the conversation that he claims to have had with Bowler immediately after the meeting.
    A spokesman for Lenihan described the allegation as "utter rubbish" but admitted the meeting took place. A spokesman for Bowler told the Sunday Times it would be inappropriate to comment.
    The allegations are contained in a new statement which was provided by Casey to the gardai.
    High politics indeed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokonon View Post
    The Sunday Times doesn't get much exposure online due to its paywall. But yesterday it ran with this fascinating story on the front page:

High politics indeed.
    sounds interesting.

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seen this alright, but I find it very hard to believe an Irish politician ever feared for their job.
    Especially for being useless at it
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lenihan can get away with anything. He has been conferred with sainthood already.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who's going to fire him? His boss is clueless.

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, I think alot of people have seen through that nonsense by now.
    Not near as popular now as some people liked to think he was a few months back.
    The mask is slipping and people are seeing him for the slime he is
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

this the guy famed for his close reading of reports!?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it totaly unbelievable that Lenihan did not question the source of a €7bn deposit into Anglo at the time of the transaction.

According to the reports at the time the deposit funding situation at Anglo was critical during the week before the guarantee and €7bn would have been a massive deposit (%15 of all Anglo funding). Why did the minister question this at the time.

In the same reports it states that the DoF was updated daily on the funding position of all banks and more regularly for Anglo.

During the same week the DoF were trying to get AIB and BOI to provide €5bn in emergency funding to Anglo.

I find it very strange that BL didn't know about these transactions the minute they happened let alone 3 months later.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded_Estate View Post
    I find it totaly unbelievable that Lenihan did not question the source of a €7bn deposit into Anglo at the time of the transaction.

I find it very strange that BL didn't know about these transactions the minute they happened let alone 3 months later.
    Same here.It is hardly credible but the truth of the matter is not being faced up to in this country and the cover up is holding so far.
    Incompotence is only one part of the quagmire this country finds itself in.Our media know it as well but they are as much a part of the problem so will not upset the status quo too much.
    This country is still in denial.
    edit: In fact our only hope is that a UK publication may eventually expose the real truth because the Irish media don't want to know.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am still waiting for someone to confirm his cancer diagnosis.

My brother battled cancer not once but twice - he lost second time around after a bloody hard fight. At no time would he have been well enough to do the job and hours that Lenihan is. A friend of his - a fellow school principle - died from cancer a couple of years before. He stood down from his job as soon as he started his treatment.

Chemotherapy is a b1tch! it leaves you totally drained, extremely weak and completely open to every infection going. There is no way Lenihan is receiving chemo in my view.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast