Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice of texting costs with Vodafone

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default advice of texting costs with Vodafone

Can I just ask board members here if they could maybe explain something to me about texting on the Vodafone network.

For the moment, if people who know could explain what is happening rather than discussing price plans and relative merits of one network against the other would be a help.

Anyways, I am a Vodafone customer on a contract with them (Perfect Fit 100), which I usually stay in and around the 30 euro per month, give or take a few euro, but I have just got a horrendous bill from them.

On closer investigation of the bill, it seems that I am being charged up to five or six times, for the same text sent.

I asked a friend, and he said it is to do with the number of words/characters in the text, rather than just a per text cost price.

I looked at my texting function, and there is a little number on the top of the screen which shows 160 (1). I have noticed that change when writing long texts, but had no idea what it meant (until now it seems)

Can someone therefore explain to me, do texts get charged on a per text basis, or on a per word/character basis ?

If it is the latter, can someone point out a link to any Vodafone page where it says it is charged per word/character, because it seems i've been paying 50/60 cent for some texts

I think this is crazy, any help would be appreciated
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

doesnt anyone know about this ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Yep Rock,one page which is your small 1 on the top, if you have a long text which is say 3/5 you get charged for 3 texts. I have a solution my Tipp friend. Re-join SF and get elected, we'll throw in a free phone for you.

Boggle

Its not per character - its per message (or page if its easier to think of it that way).

Basically, each text or page has something like 160 characters. When you go beyond that it does not refuse to type any more, instead it adds another page in the form of a second (3rd, 4th, etc) text message (you'll notice the characters counting down until they reset to 160-2 to signify that your on the second page).

You'll notice when you get long messages delivered that sometimes the phone shows an "updating message" message. This is the second and subseuent pages being sent to your phone and being added to the message in your inbox.

Hope that helps.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A friend of mine something like that to once too. It was when I received a text from a store that I am signed up with. Well, the text came in and when I open it, it updates half way thorough. He said that they are charged on the double for that text as I opened it quickly. I thought it was odd and frankly did not believe him, thought he was winding me up as he is a bit of a messer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    If you go over the 160 characters it is 2 texts and over 320 characters 3 texts etc. Unless you were sending full articles as texts I do not know how this explains the number of times you were charged. Did you perchance send the same text to several people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A SMS is limited to 160 characters. Many modern phones overcome this limit by breaking long messages into several sms messages and then stitching them back together at the other end.

The Network treats each sms as a unit and doesn't know or care if they were part of the same long message. So that is why vodafone is charging you several times for what you think is a single message.

(I am on prepay meteor, and top up by more than 20 euro a month, so I never pay for any texts to Irish numbers. You should try it)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i get a similar deal on 3.

top up by 20 or more and ya get 3000 free texts and 3000 mins talk at the weekend.

i used to be with vodafone but switched as frankly for ready to go it was too expensive

Don't you get free web texts? I send about 5 texts a month when mobile and about 100 free web texts from either my home or work networks. I NEVER text when I'm out socially as I think it's bad manners.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the shower of fupping thieves, I am changing over tomorrow..

ok, whats the best network provider and price plan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast